rebuilt motor wont fire!!!!

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
54panman

rebuilt motor wont fire!!!!

Post by 54panman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:28 am

hi to everyone just want to say this is the pan forums i'v seen!!! im a newbie to both this forum and panheads.

so heres the deal i bought a 1954 74c.i. pan that was just rebuilt (motor)(std case, jim's connecting/crank rods, super e, mallory dist, 3" open primary) i would assume the shop that did it ran it!!! but can say for sure

i went through and tightened all the hardware check it over really good and filled it with 50w oil and 80/90 in the tranny... check all the wiring and fuel set up.... let set over night for the oil to drian down in the motor good.

kick it over a ton just to prime the system, then set it all up to run after kicking the crap out of it nothing more than a few back fires!!!

worst of all it seems like something might be scrapeing alittle in the head or case on every other rationtion!!!! im get really urrrrrrrrrrrr anyone have any ideas or live in the bay area (east bay) thanks

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:39 pm

Probably an evil manifold leak, at least.

....Cotten

54panman

Post by 54panman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:20 pm

it got great compersion

Fixman

Post by Fixman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:36 pm

Do you have a good spark? Kick it over with the plugs out - holding a plug attached to the wire against the head and see if you get a nice fat spark. Do you have fuel? Can you flood it (wet plugs) by opening the throttle and kicking it over. Do you have a nice spark at the points (if it has points) when you kick it over? If all of the above is a OK, I would suspect timing.

Kent

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:33 pm

The scraping sounds is probably the rings seating. Look for a spark as advised above. The spark color should be blue, if yellow, might be a bad condenser or coil, but don;t throw more money at it until you verify a good spark.
We assume you have some service manuals to go along with your "new" machine. The factory manual and Clymers have good trouble shootiing info.
Clymers book is cheap used, on amazon.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:32 am

You can have all the compression in the world and an evil manifold leak will still wreak havoc.

....Cotten

PS: Call Hasting's tech line and they will assure you that modern rings are not expected to "seat". If the edge is even shiny they are considered worn out.

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:38 am

If you need instructions on how to time the Mallory , I can scan them and post them here . After timing check and spark , what kind of lifters are you running , valve timing is critical for easy starting , even with hyd. lifters, if hyd. or solids , are they adj. correctly ? Float on carb. could be stuck & not letting her get enough fuel.

54panman

Post by 54panman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:45 am

hey cotten, fixman,fouthgear and everyone thanks for all the help..... wish i could post with better news so far but nada!!! spark is great, compresion is great, s&s super "e" is brand new and seems to work awsome plenty of fuel!!! not sure what lifters are in the thing. but i wasnt thinking about the timing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bet theres a damm good chance thats it!!!! hey fourthgear inst on the mallory would be a wicked awsome help thanks everyone

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:57 pm

Here's what I got with mine . You may have to copy it to you PC to enlarge it to read.

viewtopic.php?f=101&t=7712

54panman

Post by 54panman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:21 pm

hey fourthgear thanks that really helps i'v beenscreawing around with the dist. the last few hours and got it where it seem like it wants to go but just wont that that final leap!!!! really starting to drive me nuts... and of course i cant get a hold of tech support!!!!! thanks again

54panman

Post by 54panman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:44 pm

hey yall i noticed today that the s&s carb intake is leaking a minamal amount of fuel on the #2 cyl could that cause it not to start????

kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:55 pm

You need air tight manifold-to-cylinder-spigot connections as well as the manifold-to-carb connection (i.e., flange surfaces need to be flat). No air leaks or you face hard or no start conditions and a running motor will often require off-spec carb adjustments that will only get worse and prematurely soiled sparkplugs.
54 panman wrote:hey yall i noticed today that the s&s carb intake is leaking a minamal amount of fuel on the #2 cyl could that cause it not to start????

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:24 pm

54panman

Post by 54panman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:38 pm

hey yall thanks for all the help!!! still cant really get it going it seem about every 6 or 8th kick i wants to fire... it has fired up about 5 time the first only for a split second and increasing in duration, the last fire about 5 or 6 seconds but theres about 50 kicks or more in between these 5 starts..... iv got a bad leg and was thinking about a starter.... iv got a 3" open primary drive that i can bolt a ring gear on and my "std" tranny case has the mounting ears on it but i cant figure out what kind of belt drive this is!!!! i'll post pics if i can and see any one else can identify it thanks

54panman

Post by 54panman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:34 pm

here's a pic anyone know what it is
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”