Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Subjective question

Post by BigMike » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:15 am

I think I may have run into a lucky find. Here is the deal, it's a factory wishbone rigid frame, sidehack loops have been cut off, and the forged parts and pogo stick hole have been molded in with bondo or something, and it has a moderate bit of rust sneaking out from under a couple of dozen coats of various paints. I need to know, #1: is the rake angle the same for a knuck springer frame and a Hydra-Pan frame? and #2: the date code should be stamped on the top tube, underneath near the top motor mount? or is it on the top motor mount? I may be able to also get the cross shaft, mechanical brake backing plate and the hub assembly, and maybe a star hub wheel or two to go with it. This seems to be in better shape than yard art, but not "great" shape either, maybe a 3 or 3.5 out of 10 condition wise. What kind of money should I offer? I sold a perfect wishbone frame a couple of years ago for $800, is $200-$400 in the ballpark if it's useable?, I know that I can get a new Paughco for less than $800.... is it worth trying to save a rough original if I don't plan to build an exact restoration, more likely a "Frankenbike" bobber.

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:22 am

i have to think you would do ok if you got it for the price you mentioned.

it seems frames on flea bay are getting out of hand unless you are the seller.

then again, it seems this would be the time of year people would be shopping for frames for a new project.

trying to save something original has it's merits.

john

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:58 am

Only the very last Knuck frames (late '46-'47) had the same rake.
(If you are considering using an inline springer, they can be easily converted to an offset.)

The date (if it has one, my Palmer's is at the shop), would be on the side of one of the two pressed plates that make up the top motormount and the seat/tank tabs.

Sounds like a decent buy to me, and I'm cheap.

....Cotten

BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:54 am

Thanks guys, I'll talk to him a little more tomorrow.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”