Cadmium Plating

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Cadmium Plating

Post by steve_wood » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:38 pm

Anybody know a good place to get cad plating done? I'm in the Boston area, but the parts are small so shipping isn't an issue.

steve

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Hey! I finally found a place. Got the stuff back yesterday and it came out very nice.

If you're having trouble finding somebody to do this type of work for your bike, try giving them a call. Their client base is more industrial, but if you tell them about your situation (i.e. old motorcycle) they should be able to help you. Just make sure your stuff is properly prepared (i.e. clean).

http://www.newmethodplating.com/

I had 18 lbs of stuff done. Over 300 parts (mostly small). Total cost including tax and shipping was about $225. Total time door to door was under 2 weeks.

I had originally gone to another place called Nu Chrome. Their quote for the same work was $2100 (yes, 21 hundred bucks). Obviously I didn't take them up on that offer, but I did make the mistake of letting them do some chrome work on my sportster rims. They've been there for 6 weeks and I probably won't get them back for another week. I'll be happy to get them back period.

steve

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:47 pm

I can tell you it is better to send them out than try to do it your self. You have to glass bead the part. Soak it in acid for a period of time, then put it in a solution bath with an electrode hooked to a battery then a battery tender when you kill the battery. I watched my buddy spend 7 hours doing enough spokes to lace one wheel and the electrode was getting pretty thin at that point. You have to figure out the proper time to leave them in and sometimes two dips exactly timed for even coating. And remember to stroke your electrode! Time and materials makes it better to send out and have done. May be there is and easier way, but from what I saw it's better left to the professional.

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:37 am

then put it in a solution bath with an electrode hooked to a battery then a battery tender when you kill the battery. I watched my buddy spend 7 hours doing enough spokes to lace one wheel...
:lol: Enough said.
You saved everyone a whole lot of time and money, by being honest and not sugar-coating the truth. Cut right to it. That's why I donate to this site.

keiser

Post by keiser » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:46 pm

I have used this company for a lot of plating and they do a great job. You must have your parts prepped when you ship to them. That means clean and glass beaded. I think cost is right around $85 for 18lbs which is a minimum. More is so much per pound.

http://www.cadplating.com/

Aero Propeller & Accessories, Inc.
9616 Jeffco Airport Ave., Hangar 44
Broomfield, CO 80021
Phone 303-469-1749 or 800-525-8756

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:07 pm

I was at my buddies house again Friday. (called in sick) It was the first time back since I watched him spend all day on the spokes. I noticed his spokes in a box and asked about them. He said he was taking them to the swap meet. They mark up too easy! I like to try to do a lot of the restoration tasks myself, but unless someone can post good results doing it with a kit, I'd recommend sending them to someone who does cad plating.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”