48 panhead in need of help

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
bigpetey79

48 panhead in need of help

Post by bigpetey79 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:28 am

Well here it is I have a 48 pan and I have problems with the rear cylinder fouling plugs all the time, also i cant seem to keep the 6 volt charging system up to par it will run great at times and then when i want to go for a ride the system loses its charge after about 3 hours and im screwed. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where i can get a good 12volt charging system for this bike

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:49 am

Well , if your not worried about the stock look , go to a Cycle Electric generator with end mount regulator and use a AGM ( absorbed glass mat ) battery , you can put them in side ways where the six volt was . You can not go wrong with a CE gen. set up. Look up Battery's in the knowledge base , there's alot of reading there .

Check your system out , it could be wiring or a grounding problem and not the charging system. If you have a multimeter you can check your batt. to see if its getting a charge from the gen./relay/regulator , raise the rpm's to see if its getting a voltage increase above batt. voltage . There are a lot of bad six volt batt. out there too.

Have you checked the compression on the rear cyl.?

panz4ever

Post by panz4ever » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:45 am

If you are running a 32E the third brush is adjustable. Maybe generator is faulty and not charging properly. But like fourthgear said, get a multimeter and go throught the steps before you spend the mean green on changing to a 12 volt system.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:47 am

Bigpetey79, Have you tested your intake for leaks? Put a pressure test on it, you may be surprised. If you do have a leak that could explain the rear cyl. not running right. You can find a lot about how to test for leaks in the archives here. Mike

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”