Life & Times of the Duo-Lift?

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
VT

Life & Times of the Duo-Lift?

Post by VT » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:49 am

The Duo-Lift on the left is a 1970-80's original of 1-1/2" bent-tube construction. They used off-the-shelf components like 1-1/2" cut washers for the end caps. Two safety-clips secured the lift from collapsing and one clip secured the swaged handle together. They also made a three-piece ramp. Same 1-1/2" tube construction, w/ wire mesh. Both are now obsolete.
The Duo-Lift on the right is possibly a later version, and used to be stocked by Superior M/C Parts. The lift is the same width as the original, but this one is constructed of 1/8" X 1-1/4" box tube with 1/8" flat plates on the end. 3/4" (black) plumbing pipe make-up the cross members and handle extension. Larger size, thin-wall pipe is used for the slip-collars. This latest Duo-Lift? is obsolete. They may have originally been made in Colorado. It seems like the later version would be the easiest to make at home, so here's a gob of pix from every angle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VT on Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VT

Post by VT » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:38 pm

The lift didn't come with saftey clips. I drilled the holes in stepped bit increments until I got to 1/4". Tried to match the same positions as the early Duo-Lift's. This later version uses a removable length of 3/4" pipe to stick in the box tube as a handle extension. I moved the handle inward before I drilled the safety clip hole, so the handle won't be tripped over. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”