All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Won't trade my cool noises: I like these noises

Post by panfreak » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:57 pm

I must be weird, but here's my coffee rant of the day;

I hear people talk about irritating noises such as generators, clutches etc, and try to find ways of quieting these things down. I have these noises too, as well as a shift arm that rattles a bit in the gate at certain RPM's, and tools that also rattle when I go over a big bump. Call me crazy, but I like these noises. It's a 50 year old bike. Indian Larry said once that he liked the mechanicalness of motorcycles, and didn't want to hide the working bits. I know exactly how he felt, I love those eccentricities of my PAN. I used to fret over my oil filter dripping on the rear exhaust pipe, but you know what, when I fire it up and that oil burns off, the smell to me is like chanel number 5 on Cindy Crawford, I wouldn't change it for the world.
I'll take my clutch friction, my generator whirring, my kickstarting, my loud pipes and my oil smells over an evo anyday!

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Re: Won't trade my cool noises

Post by Jack_Hester » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:18 pm

Panfreak -

I think that you have summed it up very well. I'm afraid that few are our numbers, compared to the Evo/TC camp. Still, there seems to be an occasional new enthusiast to sign on. Takes a rare breed to love it.

Jack

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:30 pm

Noises are kind of like music. Some you like, some you don't and everybody is different. The only one that gets to me (literally makes my teeth grind) is the clutch noise. I don't care a bit if someone else's bike is making the noise but I couldn't take listening to it on mine. Had to do something about it. It was so loud that I couldn't hear the other sounds I like (valve train, generator, etc.)

Also wouldn't trade my panhead for a Evo (or TC88 for that matter). I got an Evo and it sits in the garage until a rainy day comes. The panhead gets me to work on all other days. In Arizona, rainy days are few and far between.

-Craig

hplhd
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer

Post by hplhd » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:26 am

at work all the guys with bikes(crotch rockets and new harleys) can't believe i ride a panhd. they laff and ask me why i would ride a rattling old bike. i told them by the looks of the shit they are riding they sure as hell wouldn't understand. they realy think i just don't know any better. i'm with you all, i wouldn't trade my pans for anything. except something older.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:04 am

With reference to 'noises':

Solid lifters sing a song.

They change note with temperature and RPM.

When things are right, it's a song that repeats itself to soothe your tensions. If something goes awry (wrong) you know it almost before you hear it.

This illustrates the crux of the "man-and-his-machine" legend.
(Apologies immediately for the outdated sexist metaphor!)

Super-quiet modern electric couches rob the rider of this interaction. It eliminates the self-reliance aspect, and all the romance and adventure that made vintage motorcycles timeless.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:53 am

hello,
could not have said what you guys have posted better.

kinda of a ZEN mode............. if you know what I mean

mbskeam

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:53 pm

What some consider "Noise" can be "Music" to others.

rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Post by rigidpanman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:53 pm

yea,i love the way the solids resonate against my tin pan covers.

chopper

Post by chopper » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:21 pm

AMEN to ALL posts in the subject!!! ;)

Snake33

Post by Snake33 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:36 pm

Panfreak,
I'm pretty sure I have to agree with you, however, could you please send Cindy over so I can be absolutely certain?
Snake

57pan

Post by 57pan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:26 pm

Sept 19, 2005, 11:30pm, caschnd1 wrote:
Noises are kind of like music. Some you like, some you don't and everybody is different. The only one that gets to me (literally makes my teeth grind) is the clutch noise. I don't care a bit if someone else's bike is making the noise but I couldn't take listening to it on mine. Had to do something about it. It was so loud that I couldn't hear the other sounds I like (valve train, generator, etc.)

-Craig
OK - so what did you do about it? I love the sounds my bike makes too but that clutch plate rattle is too much. I really like the belt drive though and don't want to give it up. I know that someone makes a clutch basket out of some sort of composite material or something that doesn't transmit noise as well as the alum. basket, but they are too expensive for me.

I have thought about trying to deaden the sound by putting a couple layers of rubber (like from an old inner tube or something) around the clutch basket and then holding the rubber in place with a couple of large hose clamps. The clamps would be positioned so that the worm screws are 180* apart so the basket would remain balanced. Has anyone tried something like this, or come up with some other way to reduce the clutch plate rattle?

RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:22 pm

Tried the thick rubber sound deadening material they sell to line car trunks with when you install a stereo, didn't work. Also tried, when my rear pulley was worn out and needed replacing anyway, drilling a bunch of holes to stop the "bell" effect. Started small, worked up the quite a few 3/8" holes, pretty "swiss cheesed". Also had no effect.
The new unit I bought had Rivera Proclutch combo ( Brute II), using the later style plates with many more engagement teeth that the six in the older shell. This unit is much quieter, actually tolerable. I think as long as you are using the older style shell belt drive conversion (aluminum shell being hit by steel plates), ain't much you can do.

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:51 pm

Dave,

I bit the bullet and bought a Super Max SilentDrive. It's got the polyurethane pullies and elimated all the noise that was bothering me. Takes a bit more effort to get this belt drive aligned but I'm happy with the results. Another upside, you can choose from 4 different primary drive ratios. I'm now running a 24T trans sprocket w/ a primary ratio of 1.48:1. This has made my highway crusing much more comfortable.

-Craig

weezeo

Post by weezeo » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:29 pm

you can fix damn near any noise that irratates you the rest are like the man said MUSIC to your ears

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”