LOOKING FOR

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
RETRO-REST

LOOKING FOR

Post by RETRO-REST » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:45 am

FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS I AM LOOKING HERE IN BELGIUM AND HOLLAND TO FIND A PAN HYDRA GLIDE 1200 FROM 1952 TO 1957 BUT THE SEARCH RESULTS ARE NIHIL. ONLY FROM TIMT TO TIME A FULLY RESTORED BIKE THATS FOR SALE BUT WITH PRICES THAT REACH THE SKY. I LIKE TO FIND ONE FOR COMPLETE RESTAURATION. EVEN IN BOXES. NEXT YEAR I WILL BE 50 AND A 1956 WILL BE THE MAX. I HAVE 2 YEARS TO FIX AND ON MY BIRTHDAY I WILL THAT THE PAN GIVE HIS FIRST CONCERT/

King

Post by King » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:21 pm

Hi Retro Rest

I hate to have to say this but with the $ so low against the Euro old bikes in the States are a bargain to you folks on the Continent. So I would widen your search.

King

RETRO-REST

Post by RETRO-REST » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:35 pm

THE DIFFICULT IS IF A MOTORCYCLE IS FOR SALE IN THE STATES THAT BY EXPERIENCE YOU DONT KNOW EXACTLY THE STATE OF IT. PICTURES ON DEMAND ARE QUICKLY FIT BUT WHEN THE BIKE COMES AT LOCATION SOMETIMES YOU WILL FIND A SCRAP INSTEAT OF A BIKE

Garm

Looking for '52-'56 Panhead

Post by Garm » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:30 pm

Did you check the local oldtimer-shops. I know one in Holland which probably can offer you early panheads. But I don't think they are basketcases.
Why do you want a basketcase? Do you think in the end you will be cheaper done? I don't think so.
It's probably wiser to get a bike which is (almost) done and doesn't require a lot of resaurationwork. Such a bike will be more expensive than a basketcase but in the end won't cost you the amount of money that a basketcase does. Another thing about basketcases.....how complete is the bike that you will find in a basketcase? Are you that of an expert to see in one glimpse that the pile of rust (which fills the crate) is a complete bike? Are you sure that the hard to get parts are still in the basket?
So, get good books (Bruce Palmer's How To Restore Your Harley Davidson), Panhead Restorer's Guide, HD-Classics and study the picture's of the original bikes you will find in those books. Also take a good look at the parts which, for instance, Bruce Palmer describes in his book. This will help you to value a panhead right, and also recognize the bike as being an original bike from a none-original one.

RETRO-REST

LOOKING FOR

Post by RETRO-REST » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:25 pm

I HAVE ALL THOSE BOOKS. EVERYTHING THATS COME OUT CONCERNING PANHEADS I HAVE. I HAVE RESTORED A LOT OF MOTORCYCLES AND BEFORE I START I LOOK AT PARTSLISTS IN SHOPS AND KNOW WHAT I CAN FIND AND WHAT NOT. I WILL RESTORE COMPLETE BECAUSE I LOVE IT AND I AM NOT IN THE INTENTION TO GIVE 13.000 EUROS FOR SOMETHING THAT I MUST REOPEN BEFORE RIDING. LOCAL SHOPS HERE IN BELGIUM WE DONT HAVE AND II AM NOT SHURE THAT I GONNA FIND A PAN HER. SOMETIMES I AM HOPELESS BUT I KNOW THAT SOME DAY SOMEONE WILL SELL TO ME AND THEN THE PARTY CAN START.
PS RESTORATION IS NO PROBLEM I HAVE RECENTLY RESTORE A BMW R50 S (ONLY 1.032 WHERE BUILD) ONE YEAR TO REBUILD AND NOW MY WIFE WILL RIDE WITH ATTACHED WITH A STEIB. THAT GIVE ME THE JOY TO CONTINUE

Garm

Lookin' for '52-'56 Panhead

Post by Garm » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:44 pm

Hi Retro...

Looks like you're the right guy for gettin' a bike restored.

But still, do you really think a basketcase in the end will be cheaper than an (almost) done bike?

Greetz Garm

RETRO-REST

LOOKING FOR

Post by RETRO-REST » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:26 pm

I THINK YES. BECAUSE WHEN YOU HAVE THE KNOW HOW AND TJHE RIGHT MEN ON THE RIGHT PLACE IT MUST BE WORKING. BEFORE STARTING YOU NEED TO CHECK ALL THE WORKERS IIN DIFFERENT SHOPS FOR MAJOR WORK LIKE DRILLING AND ALLIGMENT OF CRANKCASES ETC. ALSOO COMPARE WITH OTHER FIRMS FOR PIECES. AND AFTER THE CHECKUP YOU CAN START
ERWIN

RETRO-REST

LOOKING FOR

Post by RETRO-REST » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:28 pm

I RESTORED ABOUT 127 BIKES FROM ZERO TO SHOWCONDITION. BUT PAY ATTENTION, EVERY BIKE IS DIFFERENT EVEN WHEN YOU RESTORE TWO OF THE SAME MARK AND CC !!!

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”