Torque specifications for engine and trans mounting bolts

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
pumper

Torque specifications for engine and trans mounting bolts

Post by pumper » Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:22 am

Description: What are the torque specs. for the engine and transmission mounting bolts

What are the torque specs. for the engine and transmission mounting bolts. I have a 52FL, 74cu. I can't find them in any of my service manuals. Thanks, Pumper

haggis

Re: Torque specifications for engine and trans mounting bolt

Post by haggis » Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:01 am

Hi Pumper,
I asked the same question to the guy who rebuilt my 50 motor(he came highly recommended), I also asked the tranny rebuilder at the place I bought my Pan........
both of them told me..."Torque spec's?...just snug it down REAL tight"
There is a sequence to bolting in the motor though.
I've been told to snug the back bolts down then shim the front (Lock washer, lock nut, lock tite!)

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin » Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:16 pm

(4) bottom motor mount bolts....35 ft. lbs.
I have the trans plate torque spec's is all... castellated nuts...15 ft. lbs. But, for the bottom 4 trans nuts, use a standard 7 or 8" socket wrench, and most importantly, use the thick wide washers provided by the Colony® 8232-26 trans mount kit, or go find some thick, large shouldered washers somewhere. The shoulders won't collapse into the trans plate slots when you tighten them like ordinary washers will. Result is that your trans will stay adjusted where you put it using the thick washers.
Tighten the rear motor mount nuts first to 25 ft. lbs. Shim under the right or left motor mount with a sacrificial feeler guage blade (if you don't do this, the motor mount can crack). Cut the excess of blade off. Save the remainder of the blade for another use. Tighten the front mount nuts to 25 ft. lbs., then criss-cross the 4 nuts to 35 ft. lbs.

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:10 pm

hey Haggis,
My HD mechanic I ask for advice told me "f--cking" tight. I wonder if they know each other? Real tight must be a couple lbs less. Go figure.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”