Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

V T's Bobber Replica??

Post by VintageTwin » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:47 pm

Hi Vin Tin
How would you describe the "Bobber" Knuckle replica as offered by VT and Tedds Cycles.
Also how is it priced?. I am struggling to find out anything about it apart from an old 2002 VT catalogue I picked up over there in 03.
Does it come as a kitset or as a bike.?
I am tossing up buying a basketcase Pan which will end up costing an arm and a leg to make a respectable ride from and wondered if the Bobber with it's all new parts would be a better option
Koro

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member

Post by VintageTwin » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:36 am

Howzit? 8) I'll ask JW. He may respond. He was bolting the Knuckle-bobbers together for awhile. The one in their catalog. Maybe he'll respond. I'll forward your text in a kite. Might get seen. Might not. Let's find out though. We still have an office there. Broom closet they're not using. If so, I'll cut and post his reply. He won't care. He does anything he wants. Thanks for the inquiry. My '48-59 cups got here April 1. I'm building.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:15 pm

About three years ago I priced out the rest of the small hardware to fill in Tedd's rolling chassis as correct, and it soon became obvious that you are still much better off finding a reasonable real "rolling basket".

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member

Post by VintageTwin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:31 am

Okay that's a nice find. But if you can't wait for a OEM basket, get a Replica "box" basket. I got an e-mail from JW. We're woking on it for you (or the next "builder" in line). May mean a tranship to Don @ Corbin-Gentry in Conn. Don, who gave us the method for installing fork locks. If you have a gob of money and can't live without owning a Knuckle, buy the bobber-kit and you can build yours along with the two I'm bolting together. Take a look over at the "Restorations" section. Check out the white '49 Pan. The owner build that one from a basket. It's a "period" replica. "Period" because it has a chrome cam cover. At one time chrome was the only finish they had for cam covers. So that's an early replication. The only condition you need to adhere to is.....don't do anything to nothing if you hit a problem. Bring it to the clubhouse so we can talk you through it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:36 pm

Thanks Vintage Twin, I'm looking forward to your findings.
Koro

VT

Post by VT » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:45 pm

Yeah..well...it's not looking good Koro. The Knuckle frames have the wrong top motor mount placement. The final word on my suggestion to send the frames back to Corbin for refitment was ...."It's not that easy". Sad news for the entire market. Might want to consider building a rigid Pan. Less parts to deal with, and the Glide front forks are Replica. Totally good to go right out of the box.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:17 pm

Thanks VT
the basket Pan is ridgid and a conglomeration of bits but what I wanted to build was an old school bobber/chopper where constant use and resonable distances weren't a problem.
Kick start, sprung seat, ridgid frame and front disc main criteria.
Koro

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member

Post by VintageTwin » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:57 pm

Rigid Pan? Not a problem. Rear brake shoes from Kick-Start and OE throttle sprials from http://nosparts.com/ I'd go with Cheng Shin "Speed-Grips". Disc brakes? I know nothing about. My shoes will be here next week. I think the V-Twin rear drum will work with these Kick-Start supplied shoes, without having to have the drums turned. Good building. Good road!

Bead breaker: You need one. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Prod ... %20breaker
Tires: Set them in the sun for a few hours before installation.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Sear ... chbtn.y=10
JCWhitney use to sell a "Breezer Tool" and a valve stem fisher, that along with a big rubber hammer, will move a tire bead off and back on a rim. Only V-Twin sells the Breezer and valve stem fisher and a 10-14" tire spoon and some tire-lube in a spray can from the Honda dealer. There's a point at which you need them all. Those five tools make changing out a tire fun. Wrote a chapter on it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:29 am, edited 12 times in total.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:13 pm

Kirk!
Wouldn't it make more sense to dress the linings than to turn the drum?

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member

Post by VintageTwin » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:34 pm

Yes. It's better to chuck the entire brake backing plate on (the brake dude told me), a 14" lathe http://vintagebrake.com/ But, I think the only problem with my replica drum is that V-Twins shoes are too thick. I think my V-Twin drum is true and that Kick-Start sells the best shoes. I have two sets on the way. If they drop right in, I'm building... and will make reference pix of problems to look for here. Won't know which direction I'm headed until the UPS truck rolls up. We'll make the rigid Pan a "solid" kit, even if you have to go to a few different parts suppliers to get it done right. It's too close to perfection already, not to all come together like it should.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:01 pm

I have dealt with Dixie since 1985, and will probably order again today. Their offerings span the entire spectrum of quality!
But yes, I have always used their linings. Soften them in mineral spirits before riveting them.

I have an AAMCO shoe arc grinder, disabled back when asbestos became a scourge. Perhaps it should be renovated, but usually I just use a rasp.

I didn't see the lathe at vintagebrake.com, but I did see some interesting points in the tips section:

> Very few modern materials are compatible with pressed steel drums.

>Lay back leading edge of leading shoes in 1/2 inch increments to minimize initial "bite" if brake is too "grabby", especially when hot.

> Always apply brake when tightening axle.

!!!!

Buddy Seat

Post by Buddy Seat » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:19 am

I read a lot of the EPA new stuff thats gonna happen.
Part I don't care for is kitbikes can not be used as regular riders
very limited use only.
I don't like the sound of that.

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member

Post by VintageTwin » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:12 pm

Get your stuff from Kick-Start M/C (616) 245-8991 M-F 10-5 (EST).
-----------------------------------------
As of Aug. 06, kit bikes in California aren't happening anymore. Emissions restrictions on all motors brought in or built in the state. But 48 of the other states allow kit builds. I've heard some countries in Europe are also considering kit-builds as a can-do.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”