Original Pan

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
A

Original Pan

Post by A » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:09 am

Hi: Putting a bike together and didn't know if I should go with a replica pan for my project or jump on the opportunity to get my hands on an original pan fully rebuilt? Any thoughts?

fourthgear

Re: Original Pan

Post by fourthgear » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:09 pm

A
Its your choice, they are all cool. I would and did buy an Harley Davidson Panhead, its my second Pan ,it s diff. year parts but ,its hard to find one in untouched org. condition any more. I think its good to have the Replica's around keep the linage going and I think you could be better off with new type cases if you want to go with big cubes, them old cases might not like it .

A

Post by A » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:38 pm

Not looking for a hot rod, just a bare bones chopper, simple and to the point. Don't want to kick myself in the ass later after not taking the chance on the original pan. I'm concerned with keeping it running good, exhaust leaks, generator and lighting, etc. Any advice? Thanks.

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:54 pm

Where I live, you can pretty much ride all year round exept for the odd week or two in the winter. Regular insurance is a little over 2G's for a year here, so it is the norm for people to only have their bikes on the road for half the year. My pan is stock, and was eligible for collector plates, my insurance is now $200 and change. That is huge for me cause I like to ride all year. I don't think kit pans would qualify, so that is just one more thing to think about.

Billy

Post by Billy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:11 am

If you are living in the USA, the kit bikes will have some limits being put on them beginning in 2006 according to
Enviornmental Protection Agency...aka= EPA

There's a link here in the "General" section.
I "think" HD's w/titles will be exempt from this..
Something to investigate before you 'plunk down' $$$
for an after market 'crate motor'.. :o

(Big Brother)

weezeo

Post by weezeo » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:21 pm

hey all........IMHO I would go with the original but you really can't beat brand new.
Hello all memebers I have been away for bout 8 months (not locked down) broken computer and empty wallet. I am back and trying to pick up this computer lingo again and its coming back slowly. Bout the way the rear wheeel is coming back to me oon my Pan. I run a PM caliper on a stock rigid frame and wheel and can't remember how to space it. I been riding my shovelhead for last 7-8 yrs. and now I am putting the Pan back on the road and can't figure out how to space the rear wheel correctly but I guess I better start a new post But anyway hello all and be back up in the "chat box" soon rapping with the all. been to long and I miss the BSin' later for now weez

Billy

Post by Billy » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:25 am

Weez-
Mount the caliper & pads first, having the pads separated then lift up the wheel & guide the rotor in- between the pads, Since you already had the 'PM' set-up on before. Then block the tire at that level & see what spacing it needs. This should also have the sprockets "in line" for the chain. After checking this, space it as needed & that's about it. It will show the sizes you need.

weezeo

Post by weezeo » Sun May 01, 2005 1:13 am

Thanks all, for the warm welcome back!!!
Yea I switched from mag wheel to spokes and I think I lost a spacer in the swap or its around here somewhere. I got the brake side down but I used to run the wheel adjusters up to the round with flat spots on top an bottom and they aren't going up to where i want them. But I will get it, just taking my time, since my 66 is carting my ass around and I want the PAN perfect this time, as it might be the last time I redo it. its been with me 33 yrs now and it maybe becoming my Sunday afternoon ride only (can't beat shocks and a button) But oh how I miss that PAN been 7 years since last fired up.
But again thanks for the help guys, and ain't no hurricane gonna blow us away, right Billy. punk MFers are getting ready to come back again Too..we ready

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”