Motor & machining questions

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
03Roadking

Motor & machining questions

Post by 03Roadking » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:56 pm

Hello
I must say this is one of the best sites I have seen. I have spent two days just reading, it has been quite the ride so to speak. I have ridden HD for years but it has been many years since I owned a Panhead, back in those days (70's) all I needed was 75 cents for gas and 29 cents for a quart of oil. Hard to start? come on I was 19 there was no such thing as hard to start. But this site has brought up many new questions that I have, some I have gotten the answers from reading this site, some I still am on the fence about. So here is the first
1 Do you think marvel mystery oil is the fuel additive of choice to keep from having unleaded gas problems?
2 I am posting a web site for a machine shop that goes into great length's to explain there head work that they do, such as steel valve inserts, double plugs and out side oilers is all this work really necessary? If one or more of you that are really knowledgeable about Panheads would look this over and give me your opinion I would greatly appreciate it
Thanks

http://www.floheadworks.com/Services/No ... ersion.htm

Cotten

Re: Motor & machining questions

Post by Cotten » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:04 am

Just to keep this reply simple:

Preserving your machine as "factory correct" best preserves your investment. Stoopid as that may be!
Any "personalization" only pleases thee, no one else. I know, because my urge to be creative always wins. After all, it's only a toy.

With that in mind, not only are double plugs, and byzantine oiling a bad choice unless its a radical concept machine), but even seat inserts break the barrier of authenticity, for one very good reason: They SUCK!

Time for HeadHog to pipe up with his superior overlay process which actually restores the seat.

Hope this makes some sense,

...Cotten

PS: MMO is fine if you don't get too generous with it.

(Moderation in all things! Abstain from anything uncomfortable after you try it a coupla times....Marc Mawards1972)

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Re: Motor & machining questions

Post by Jack_Hester » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:49 am

I'll second what Cotten has said. Keep your heads stock. Have Don (@ Head Hog) to restore your seats to original. They will outlast you. And, are better suitted to the crummy, lead-free gas that we have to contend with. And, use the MMO at the ratio that the container instructs. Some have posted that using it in excess will lower octane. It is an excellent top-cylinder lubricant.

Jack

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”