Where did all the power go

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Danl

Where did all the power go

Post by Danl » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:52 pm

If this sounds familiar, please send me to the "thread". If not, here we go...

'54 pan, 12 V, single points, all connections good, carb is dialed in (Super E), new points, condensor, plugs, wires, (plug & all connectors), new coil, battery, polarized the gen. Here's the deal:

Been tracking down gremlins for the last 2 months. Found a couple and thought the last one was a coil heating up after about 20 mins. Replaced it, test drove, and took the bike out for a short evening ride. Running like a raped ape. Thought for sure I'd gotten it figgered out. 15 mins down the road, bike started put, put, put, like it was running on "half" of each of the cyclinders... or running out of gas. Plenty of gas, had spark at the points. The more throttle I gave it, the worse it ran. Fuel pouring out of float bowl overflow, but plugs weren't wet. ?
I remember this problem from a few years ago when I was first putting the bike up, but I forgot what I did to fix it. Any help? I know it's something simple. Getting old, I guess.
Dan'l

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Where did all the power go

Post by panhead » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:12 pm

I would change the condensor first.

Danl

Post by Danl » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:06 pm

Thanks, Panhead... I'll do that! Can you tell me what problem might be in my electrical that could cause the condensor to go bad? It's new, and was just wondering if I need to look for something else...?

Dan'l

BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:06 pm

Valves adjusted properly? heat can cause problems there too.

Danl

Post by Danl » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:34 am

Big Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, valves are loose enough to spin w/your fingers. Even a little looser than normal, as this is a fresh motor. Rather have some "clatter", than the valve seats burned up.

I picked up a new condensor, and will put 'er in tonight... jus' getting a little frustrated. "NOW what!!?"

I know I'm being punished for leaving her sit in the garage for 3 years! Not her fault or mine, but that's a long, sad story.

Dan'l

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:41 pm

Perhaps the Evil Manifold Leak strikes again?

You can eliminate the variable with a big rubber stopper and 15 psi: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

(I'd tighten the pushrods back up, too.)

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”