PANHEAD REBUILD

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Joe B

PANHEAD REBUILD

Post by Joe B » Fri May 09, 2008 3:43 am

Hey folks new to the site glad to be here.I've been reading the forums for about a month and man i'll tell tell ya i should have stuck with my grandsons big wheel. Well anyway, i inherited my brother in laws 49 panhead. Long story short i only know the baics. I want to convert from a 6 volt to a 12. I want to do a custom application{21 front inch wheel,2 inch extentions on the hydra glide forks,sporty tank,ape hangers or oem hndlebars,im not sure yet. I want to stick with the linkert m-74b .Does anyone know of a builder or service shop in the wilkes barre pennsylvania area or in the general area that does work on panheads. I can do the basics.Ive already done {with help, new engine parts,tranny, linkert rebuild kit,clutch,drum brake rebuild,oil pump rebuild,}I have purchased{NOS or TEDS sorry!} basically all of the rebuild part that puts it all together. but there are some things that need a little lookin over and a little puttin together haha} yu know what i mean. If anyone out there can point me in the right direction i would be grateful. joeb

Pantony

Post by Pantony » Fri May 09, 2008 4:25 am

HOOOOLD ON there Joe B; back up a step and tell us what you have for a bike is it all or mostly original? do you have the original front end? You don't need 12 volt electrics as the 6 volt will run just fine inless your running a lot of lights. Otherwise it just runs a ciol and that don't take much. If it is mostly stock or stock appearing, it will be worth much more stock. So give us some details what you have. Motor work isn't hard to find someone to do it or you can do a lot yourself, Palmers book shows a lot that you can do at home.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Fri May 09, 2008 11:14 pm

Joe.B, I just went back to the stock lenght on my 51, It was 2" over. The low speed handleing is much improved, now it just feels right. If you buy new dampeners make sure to measure the supplied snaprings carfully. The ones I got with the dampeners were .009 thicker than the old ones and would not seat into the grooves completely. ( I hope they wake up at Tedds someday). Mike

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”