2nd post

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Willy G.

2nd post

Post by Willy G. » Sun May 25, 2008 10:23 pm

There's a hose connected to the case right above the oil pump which goes to the oil tank. Is this a breather or return line for oil. Clymer doesn't describe it as anything. Thanks, Willy

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sun May 25, 2008 10:47 pm

breather.

john

Willy G.

Post by Willy G. » Sun May 25, 2008 11:02 pm

Is it the only breather the bike needs ? Can the one that oils the primary through the inner cover be plugged. I'm running a belt and hate to clean whitewalls.

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sun May 25, 2008 11:44 pm

no, it needs both breathers.

is your chain oiler turned off?

john

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin » Mon May 26, 2008 1:07 am

If you buy this manual (freight damaged) it will explain belt primary installation in detail, start to finsih. You need the all of manuals H-D, Clymers, & Spare Parts Catalogs before you ever put a wrench to your machine. Someone put a lot of time into the purple twin. Don't experiment. The info in the books is from a 4th level H-D® trained mechanic, and while that's not a prerequisite for all mechanical procedures, the info comes from Stettler and not me. I stand behind every word in both Vols. Any questions about the procedures, I'm here to answer them or I'll find an answer from Stett.
http://www.amazon.com/Mechanics-Owners-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... F8&s=books
Use your (Willy G.) handle in your order from amazon and we'll donate a buck or two to this site.
--------------
I go to sleep at night hoping someone will try and find a mechanical error in Vol. 2, but there is no way one will be found.
Yes, $119.00 is a tremendous amount of money, but you can work an extra job to collect the cash. The last person that bought a (freight damaged) copy told us he mowed lawns to get the money. I don't know how many lawns he mowed, but I think it was three.

Willy G.

Post by Willy G. » Mon May 26, 2008 3:54 am

Thanks everybody,
I don't mind a little breather leak but the hose bypassing (the now) belt primary is open to the air, maybe I'll try the J&P filter first and see how it works.

VT, Did Stett work for San Diego HD a while back. I'll check into those manuals too.
Thanks, Willy G.

VT

Post by VT » Mon May 26, 2008 4:22 am

Did Stett work for San Diego HD
That's where I met him. He had just graduated M.M.I. and directly went to work for S.D. Harley, when W.D. Alexander was partners with NY Myke. I had taken him my 59 Pan motor in 1998, after my friend Lakeside Bill had built the motor and the pinion shaft loosened because of a non-matching flywheel taper.
I haven't met but a few people in my life that I mechanically or art-wise click with, but when you do, it becomes a team and it doesn't get much better than that. So far there have been two things we don't agree on.
The first, he won't budge on the point gap for 1936-1960. It's 0.022". He's says 0.020" or 0.022" is okay.
It was 0.020" for the 61-up dual points, with the dual coil stuff, and yeah, I know it went back to single points later, maybe '65, but that was after my time (past 1959). A '36-60 OHV motor with the points set at 0.020" doesn't have the top end "snap" of a points set of 0.022".
And the other thing is tire pressure. The '59-69 H-D manual clearly states 5:10 x 16 tires need 20 psi front and 26 psi rear (for solo rider).
He says air leaves the tires too quickly and as a shop owner with liability issues, he needs to put 30 psi front and 36 psi rear in tires before they leave the shop.
Anyway, we printed both opinions, putting plugs gap dimensions at 0.020 - 0.022" and both tire pressures in Vol. 2. Let the owners make their own choice.
I've never known a better early Harley mechanic and motorcycle machinist than Stett. He continues to train through Harley-Davidson University. Since he's not with a dealership, he can't go back to M.M.I for class updates, but he learned Twin Cams through H-D U (a tenured alternative to MMI).

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Mon May 26, 2008 6:19 am

You can't argue with credentials and experience VT.

I'm trying to convince #2 son to burn some of his G.I. Bill benefits to attend H.D.U. He is the only motorhead I spawned out of 3 sons and it would be nice to have someone in the family that can work on my late model UltraClassic. He should be back from Iraq in December.

I wish there was someone here in central Arkansas that I felt confident enough to take my stuff too. Unfortunately, most of the HD stealerships have become parts swappers that can only guess about what your problem is and throw new parts at it until they get lucky and replace what is actually the problem.

mike

VT

Post by VT » Mon May 26, 2008 3:56 pm

He should be back from Iraq in December
May he come home safely.
I let someone have a shot at my motor, down here by the Everglades, and they let me down. From your posts I learned about Stett's Iron Horse Ranch. I sent him my motor and I know it will be outasite when I get it!!! - MT
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
I received this testimonial this morning. Sounds like MT shipped his motor to Stett. He won't be sorry, the motor will run for a long time. There aren't many shops that can have Harley-Davidson painted on their shop sign, when they aren't a Harley-Davidson® dealer.
http://www.stettsironhorseranch.com/index.html

Willy G.

Post by Willy G. » Mon May 26, 2008 10:56 pm

VT wrote:
Did Stett work for San Diego HD
That's where I met him. He had just graduated M.M.I. and directly went to work for S.D. Harley, when W.D. Alexander was partners with NY Myke. I had taken him my 59 Pan motor in 1998, after my friend Lakeside Bill had built the motor and the pinion shaft loosened because of a non-matching flywheel taper.
I haven't met but a few people in my life that I mechanically or art-wise click with, but when you do, it becomes a team and it doesn't get much better than that. So far there have been two things we don't agree on.
The first, he won't budge on the point gap for 1936-1960. It's 0.022". He's says 0.020" or 0.022" is okay.
It was 0.020" for the 61-up dual points, with the dual coil stuff, and yeah, I know it went back to single points later, maybe '65, but that was after my time (past 1959). A '36-60 OHV motor with the points set at 0.020" doesn't have the top end "snap" of a points set of 0.022".
And the other thing is tire pressure. The '59-69 H-D manual clearly states 5:10 x 16 tires need 20 psi front and 26 psi rear (for solo rider).
He says air leaves the tires too quickly and as a shop owner with liability issues, he needs to put 30 psi front and 36 psi rear in tires before they leave the shop.
Anyway, we printed both opinions, putting plugs gap dimensions at 0.020 - 0.022" and both tire pressures in Vol. 2. Let the owners make their own choice.
I've never known a better early Harley mechanic and motorcycle machinist than Stett. He continues to train through Harley-Davidson University. Since he's not with a dealership, he can't go back to M.M.I for class updates, but he learned Twin Cams through H-D U (a tenured alternative to MMI).
VT, I knew he was the real deal when I meet him at SDHD when they where on Sprots Arena Blvd, I think he left shortly after to open his shop.
It's always good to know someone of his caliber to test yourself and him.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”