How many miles brake in before I pack it down?

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
pan57

How many miles brake in before I pack it down?

Post by pan57 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:05 am

hey guys i spent the last year and a half taking this basket i bought from a friend of mine and completely rebuilding everything on it. i have been through every bolt and nut on this thing myself. motor, transmission, wheel hubs and everything in between. lots of late nights and very disgruntled wife. i did all the work myself so if something blows i have no one else to blame but me. the question i have is---- i want to take a round trip about 2500 miles on it (Baton Rouge to ashville NC)and i have some of the old timers in my area telling me i need to ride it no further than about 50 miles from my house in case someone has to come get me for at least a year to shake all the bugs out of it. I have about 1K miles on it now and i want to leave in 2 weeks. i have about 40k miles on my evo. so i am no stranger to road trips. these are the same guys that told me i could not build a pan from the ground up. let me know what you think. thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:04 am

do you trust your work?.....

put some more miles on it in the 2 weeks and if all is good go for it. but I might get the triple A rv towing package, this will cover bikes.....
good luck.

mbskeam

1950Bobber

Re: how many miles brake in before i pack it down?

Post by 1950Bobber » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:52 am

pan57 wrote:hey guys i spent the last year and a half taking this basket i bought from a friend of mine and completely rebuilding everything on it. i have been through every bolt and nut on this thing myself. motor, transmission, wheel hubs and everything in between. lots of late nights and very disgruntled wife. i did all the work myself so if something blows i have no one else to blame but me. the question i have is---- i want to take a round trip about 2500 miles on it (Baton Rouge to ashville NC)and i have some of the old timers in my area telling me i need to ride it no further than about 50 miles from my house in case someone has to come get me for at least a year to shake all the bugs out of it. I have about 1K miles on it now and i want to leave in 2 weeks. i have about 40k miles on my evo. so i am no stranger to road trips. these are the same guys that told me i could not build a pan from the ground up. let me know what you think. thanks
I am by NO MEANS an expert on this subject, or any other for that matter (!!!)...but...the advice I got from a very proficient engine builder was as follows: do not let the R's go below 2000 for the first few hundred miles so you avoid pistion wobble. Don't overheat the motor for the first few hundred to 1000 miles giving her frequent rest breaks. Vary your speeds and don't put her under strain (ie. climbing hills) for the first 1000 miles. After the first 1000 to 1200 miles ride her!!!!!

I followed his advice and I have a fantastic running mill. I will add I got a motor build with close tolerances and I opted for KB pistons...that does make a difference. If you went with factory clearances and cast pistons, you won't have as much to worry about...they run loose and are more forgiving in the breakin period.

Again, I'm no authority, others may differ or correct my thinking. I'm good with that.

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:14 pm

Jim's recipe for motor break-in is pretty universal.

Modern rings do not need to 'seat', so it is the rest of the motor that must 'limber up' (Indian's term for it.)

Vintage motorcycling has always been about self-reliance, even when the machines were new. Not only does the wrenching rider learn to be observant and resourcefull before the ride, he often learns humility and respect on the ride.
How far one wishes to venture from home depends entirely on his/her hunger for adventure.

Pan57's machine certainly appears that he has paid great attention to detail, and frankly, there's not much left on the bike to break.
I hope he has a "touring" seat ready, however!

....Cotten

kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:44 pm

Personal knowledge goes a long way toward trusting a freshly built motor/bike, new firearm, vintage car/truck, etc. But if I did trust everything I'd still go easy on the throttle and watch the main vitals religiously.

Note, they were wrong on the ground-up build and 1000 miles later things are still ok! Also, note the hills/mountains you may have to climb!

Also agree with Cotten on the seat and mbskeam on the AAA coverage!

Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:59 pm

"Break em in the the same as you intend to ride em."

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:18 pm

good advice all around.

I think the only universal rules are don't lug it and don't overheat it. The lower gears are your friend, if in doubt, downshift!

mike

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:18 pm

Nice lookin' bike! However, touring may be limited to how much gear you can carry in your pocket and the condition of your backbone. I think I'd throw a seatpost in ,at least for the trip, (you'd never know you were on a hardtail!) Mike

Kuda

Re: how many miles brake in before i pack it down?

Post by Kuda » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:06 pm

pan57 wrote: i have some of the old timers in my area telling me i need to ride it no further than about 50 miles from my house in case someone has to come get me for at least a year to shake all the bugs out of it.
Pure and utter BS. If you've done it right, and you're familer with the "on the road" maintenance which might be necessary (adjusting pushrods, dressing the points, etc) then there's absolutely no reason not to go. I've put over 22,000 on my hand(re)made '49 pan, and most of those miles have been on road trips, including a 4500 mile trip to Sturgis last year in 100+ degree temps. Pack well, carry tools, keep your head about you and you'll be just fine.

-Kuda
'49 panchop

ps. Oh yeah, and that's a beautiful bike, by the way... :D

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”