For the pan man who has everything

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

For the pan man who has everything

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:18 am

Stopped in Daytona Beach yesterday at the World's Largest Stealership. Its actually kind of neat and its surrounded by a couple dozen other biker stores, bars, and other biker friendly businesses in a huge new mall sort of thing. Its almost like going to a rally.

Anyway, I spotted this thing in Rossmeyer's showroom, they built 30 of them. Underneath all the 57 Pan looking stuff is a 2007 softail, the more you look the more detail you find. The cam chest is a cast dummy as well as some of the other vintage items, but its still pretty neat.

Thought you might enjoy it

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: For the pan man who has everything

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:25 am

If you're having trouble reading the price tag on the '57 HydraGlide Elvis Edition, here's a close-up......

grab your checkbook and head for Daytona Beach, they're going fast

mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:47 am

What's withthe funky angle on the starter?

You know, the "new" bikes that are designed to look like "old" bikes always look ok to me-until I see them next to a "real" old bike. then I notice all the strange stuff, and especially, just how BIG the new bikes are. My '52 is tiny compared to even a new sportster-low, light, easy to handle.

Forgive the rant, it looks nice-if you have that kind of money.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 pm

And that timer!

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:48 am

so are they really using the mouse trap on this thing? how about the tanks, do they have the old style pet cock?

FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:00 am

just about all the pan stuff is dummied up. The tank is a 2007 one piece, the left cap has a fuel gage in it, but they did put a dummy fuel shut off/instant reserve knob in front of the cap. The square coil appeared to be connected, had plug wires and everything but I don't know if it was actually supplying the spark. Forgot to check the mouse trap to see if they had it hooked up. The kicker was a dummy too, and the shaft on the dummy circuit breaker was a little long.

When I walked in the door it was the first thing I spotted, but the closer I got the more I wondered exactly what it was. Now I wish I had taken a few more pictures.

mike

panhead55

Post by panhead55 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:05 am

i suppose its okay if you dont care what your riding and think it (pretty neato) to have a bike thats looks like a old pan...but i wouldnt dare park it next to some REAL panheads....can you imagine the ridicule??? thats me though...:)

panhead55

Post by panhead55 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:08 am

oh... and its almost as bad as the hardly davidson in the new indiana jones movie.

FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:07 am

didja notice the waffle grips?, if you look just a little inboard from the grips you will notice the only good feature: a starter button!

Like I said, I should have taken a bunch more pics, if you look close they even put a dummy battery box cover over the middle of the oil tank. I'm not sure what's under it.

I just posted this for fun, but its quite a conversation piece.

mike

VT

Post by VT » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:25 pm

When I first read and viewed the pics on the internet last year, that the dealership was building (5 or 6) Elvis models, I thought they'd gone to the trouble of piecing together something from aftermarket parts.
Just goes to show you that it's easier to disguise something new as old, than it is to actually build something old from repop parts. You can fool 99% of the pop. that wouldn't know the difference anyway and a large % of the 99% would think that Elvis actually owned it.
Yeah, the new bikes are huge. I sat on a new Henderson once. It was like a ship. It felt like the motorcycle steered me, rather than me steering the machine. They can have all of that new-age stuff. Even that S&S "Wedge" motor is like something from Rotax (rotary) land.
I'm sticking with Linkert fed motors until they quit making gasoline.

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:29 pm

I love the old stuff, too. :D

FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:24 pm

Bruce Rossmeyer, the dealer that built these, has 7 or 8 dealerships. The story behind the Elvis Edition 57 Pan clones, and why they only produced 30 of them, is that they were released to commemorate the 30th anniversary of Elvis' death last August. Just coincidentaly, Rossmeyer was opening a new dealership accross the street from Graceland in Memphis (imagine that).

And if they didn't think they would get enough publicity from that, they gave the prototype to Jay Leno and invited him to the ceremony where they auctioned off #2 machine for charity, it went for over $100K. Its all about the money guys!

I'm still wondering how Elvis signed that gas tank?????, I thought he was dead.....

this is a bumper sticker I spotted somewhere and took a picture of with my cell phone

mike

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:05 am

Sorry to get into this discussion so late,
But I had to retrieve this heirloom from the "safety deposit box".

It is a genuine replica of Elvis's first guitar!

Only $58,000 USA dollars,
or
58,000,000,000,000 Zimbabwe dollars
or
58 Euros.

Deliverable to the Davenport Meet under a two-armed guard.

....Cotten
PS:Just My Humble Opinion.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:50 am

Where's the crank?

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:29 am

Panacea!

So far it hasn't turned up in any of the local archival repositories, but no doubt the angle would be wrong anyway,... but not as bad as the kickarm on the subject bike!

M-I-C,
K-E-Y,
.....M, O, U, S,....Eeeeeeeeuuuuuuuww!

JMHO again,

...Cotten

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”