Opinions on Pan purchase

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Freak

Opinions on Pan purchase

Post by Freak » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:28 pm

I have a 97 FXSTC, very customized bike, and I have been looking to trade it for a Pan. I have had several offers, but all the bikes are titled as "special construction", or after the aftermarket frame numbers. I have one in particular that I really like, the guy says its a 52, but its titled as a 96 Paugho, which are the frame numbers. He said the cases are after market and do not have the HD numbers.

My question is, am I taking a beating if I swap with this guy? I know the value will not be the same, as it would if I had a 52 title, but will the fact that it is a real pan, support a decent resale value if my wife sells it when I die?

HELP !!!!

BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Re: Opinions on Pan purchase

Post by BigMike » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:23 pm

You are swapping for a custom, not a Panhead.

"This is the same hatchet that George Washington used to chop down the cherry tree, the handle has been replaced several times, and the head was changed once, but this is the one"

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Freak,
So, what part of that pan that you like with the Paughco frame and after market cases is 1952?

sounds just like the George Washington hatchet deal, good one BigMike!

mike

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:59 pm

Hehe.... thats a good question.....From the pics I've seen, looks like maybe the ummmmm....headlight....no seriously, I am assuming the jugs, and the tranny. I dunno. I haven't owned a pan since 1976, and I've got the itch, and no cash. I am HD poor, I have a 78 shovel, the 97 softail, and a new street glide, so I need to do a trade to satisfy my pan itch. I have been of the opinion that a pan motor is a pan motor, even with the aftermarket cases, that is until I saw that S&S came out with the pandemonium, and now I am trying to be more careful in my search. I realize that to a pan purist, aftermarket stuff is a G.W. hatchet, but when you ain't got a pan, and you look at the prices of the real pans, well.... nuff said.

Thanks for the input !

kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Some like custom and some don't. But when the frame and cases are not HD it's a big deal if you are wanting a pan in the first place. I'd pass and keep up the hunt but I like bone stock (or very limited mods) pans the best. Maybe you could sell the trade bike and have more buying power while waiting for the right one? Many on here seem to have aftermarket motors, frames, etc so it's whatever floats your boat.

joe
Bikes: 1947 Indian Chief
1956 Harley FLH
1985 Harley FLH Shovelhead
1999 Excelsior-Henderson

Post by joe » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:18 am

I would swap the 97 if the Paugco bike is cool. I don't think a 97 FXST will be collectible for a looong time. What if by some stroke of luck you found a bone stock 52 Pan...you would probably be afraid to ride it all the time.

You could get the Paughco and put enough authentic bits on it to make it feel like an old pan. An original speedometer or a correct seat. Maybe some really cool repo saddlebags or cheeses graters.

Just my 2 cents

joe
Bikes: 1947 Indian Chief
1956 Harley FLH
1985 Harley FLH Shovelhead
1999 Excelsior-Henderson

Post by joe » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:23 am

One more thing I forgot to mention and I don't want to seem like a downer, but I think most things won't be worth nearly what they were once this economic turmoil runs its course.

1950Bobber

Post by 1950Bobber » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:59 am

I hear your sentiments here,

"I am HD poor, I have a 78 shovel, the 97 softail, and a new street glide, so I need to do a trade to satisfy my pan itch. I have been of the opinion that a pan motor is a pan motor, even with the aftermarket cases, that is until I saw that S&S came out with the pandemonium, and now I am trying to be more careful in my search. I realize that to a pan purist, aftermarket stuff is a G.W. hatchet, but when you ain't got a pan, and you look at the prices of the real pans, well.... nuff said."

If you want to ride something like a "replica" Pan...by all means, shoot your wad! You will love it as well as any other motorcycle, only your deep intrinsic, Pan-loving-soul will be left unsatisfied!

I have an S&S '65 replica Pan and a true-blue 1950 Pan as well as a true-blue '58 Pan. The replica is very nice looking, strong as hell running beauty. The '50 is also strong running and without any mechanical problems....I get a MUCH BETTER thrill riding that one! As I do with the '58. But alot of that has to do with amazement of how a 58 year old motorcycle and a 50 year old motorcycle can be so much fun, so fast, so reliable and have so much history in her that leaves me astonished that it can do what it was intended to do...run like hell!!!

The replica, in light of owning two other authentic Panheads, is just a replica that runs great....it is tough to be so proud of it. Now if you don't have authentic Panheads, or even one Panhead...go ahead and scratch that itch and go replica...it may push you to be more enthusiastic to find a real OEM unit or not....only you will know. Go for it...you have this website to judge your next move...nobody is lying to ya, although beware of PURISTS....they live in a world of their own ;)

Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:33 am

Hello All,

I can see both sides of this twirlling coin. But what it comes down to for me is money! Any Pan project or complete bike I have seen has been way out of range for me. Projects that incomplete go for about 5000 while complete bikes that need alot of work go for 10000. get it if it makes you feel god and ride it.

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:36 am

yeah, when I found out that all of the sheet metal had been replaced by repop on my '52, and it had been done as part of a "rebuild" just before I bought it-I felt like the wind was taken right out of my sails.

But since I have been riding the bike a lot, I love it, and the sheeet metal doesn;t bother me anymore.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:53 pm

I appreciate all the responses, I still don't know what I'm gonna do, but you guys have given me a lot to think about. I'm going to try and attach pics of hte softail, and the pan. Any comments on either would be welcomed !

Sorry, I'll have to do some work on the pan pics. got an error message about the file ext., I'll have to fix on my home computer. Did upload the softail pic tho', its under "other pictures" in the gallery.

http://www.hydra-glide.com/coppermine/d ... ?pos=-2038

BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:07 pm

Originals and close to originals are out there, just relax and take your time. A 18K mile original 62FLH with the "king of the road" option package was available near me for quite a while. The guy started out at 20K firm, and ended up selling for less than 12K. It was one of the nicest unmolested originals I have ever seen. Had I not been totally wiped out by divorce, hurricanes, housing market, and all the usual problems it would have been parked next to my 64. It was an original of what I was trying to bring my baby up to. Aftermarket anything can be gradually replaced by good used or NOS over time, except the left side case.

dragpipe

Post by dragpipe » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:35 pm

theres a complete, all original panhead for sale at Mackie Harley Davidson in oshawa, ontario, canada...not sure of the year or price, but i know they had a hard time selling it, as they gave up and now its a "display"...hope that helps.
Dan

69camfrk

Post by 69camfrk » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:18 am

Just .02 from a noob on the site here. The replicas for the most part are superior in every way. Better technology, metallurgy, etc. However I suppose it comes down to this with me, and that is a replica has no history. It's not part of the motor co. and it's just not "real". After riding HD's for a long time I finally got to get a Pan. It's a '52 in an original wishbone frame with a newer 4 speed and a Paughco Springer front end. A purist nightmare. But I like it and it's cool. I guess that's what it boils down to with a replica too, but I needed one with some age on it.

PanHeadRed
Bikes: 1959 FLH
2000 FLHR

Post by PanHeadRed » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:02 pm

IMO - it's not a good deal, trading a HD for a custom is a step back $ wise, unless the sum of the custom parts exceeds the value of the complete HD. Bike for bike your loosing. (IMO)

Ride that 78.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”