Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

'52 Progress

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
69camfrk

'52 Progress

Post by 69camfrk » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:32 am

Maybe some of you remember my post from 2 weeks ago. Here's where I'm at now. The Sporty tank is off my '79 XLS since I scored a whole set of sheetmetal years ago and had it painted. The paint on the tank is about 25 years old but I'm just using it temporarily. I've painted the frame and wired the bike as well as adding a new seat, handlebars, and a tail light. I'm not finished but am getting close. The motor seems to be tight and it goes down the road well. Here's a pic.
000_0052.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ElkCreek

Re: '52 Progress

Post by ElkCreek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:00 am

The Tank looks good on there. I like the red and gold on the black. Be neat to carry that through out the bike with brass here and there. Hmmm
You have a nice ride there.

69camfrk

Post by 69camfrk » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:31 pm

Kelly wrote:The Tank looks good on there. I like the red and gold on the black. Be neat to carry that through out the bike with brass here and there. Hmmm
You have a nice ride there.
Thanks!! I'm thinking about some brass and maybe some copper oil lines. I wasn't logged in and didn't know I could post as a guest. The tank that's on it is one that came off my '79 Sportster that I've had since 1985. I scored a set of tin for it several years ago and had it painted and kept the original tank with the paint that was on it. It seems right at home on the Pan. The kicker came back on my last night and about maimed me. I think it strained every muscle, tendon, and ligament in my ankle. I guess I need to remember to retard the timing from now on. That lesson was learned the HARD way!!

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:14 am

Don;t use copper lines unless you like losing all of your oil. The copper will work harden from vibration, and crack. You could always get a set of steel lines copper-plated, though!

Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:31 am

69camfrk, Where did the rear disc set up come from ? I assume it works well ?

Copper oil lines wont crack unless they are allowed to vibrate violently. Just shape/tie/support them so they dont. I ran the same polished copper tubes on my '48 for over 20 years. Now I have chrome plated (sink water pipes)copper ones! No problem for 22K miles so far. (pic in the "garage")

69camfrk

Post by 69camfrk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:25 am

108 wrote:69camfrk, Where did the rear disc set up come from ? I assume it works well ?

Copper oil lines wont crack unless they are allowed to vibrate violently. Just shape/tie/support them so they dont. I ran the same polished copper tubes on my '48 for over 20 years. Now I have chrome plated (sink water pipes)copper ones! No problem for 22K miles so far. (pic in the "garage")
The rear disc set up did come already on the bike. It's GMA and works really well. I have the GMA setup on the front but until I can get a buddy to machine me a custom mounting bracket it won't work. There is a threaded hole in the rear side of the front end but the mounting hole in the bracket is too low to put a tensioning rod there. It needs to come up about two inches for it to work. Quite honestly I like having front brakes so I'm going to work towards that. This bike really came with some good parts on it. I've had to rewire it, clean it up, and fab a couple of parts. I had to make a bracket for my ignition switch and a plate to mount my brake light and tag. I just hope I can find the sweet spot in so far as the timing advance goes so it doesn't try to take my leg off again while I'm kicking it!!

51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:37 am

Just make sure the timing is right per FSM and retard the timer all the way.
When you kick it, make sure that you push all the way through and HOLD it there until the engine stops moving. (Sometimes the engine will fire on the rebound and if the kicker is part way up/down, it will kick.)
If it fires but doesn't run, advance the timing 1 or 2 degrees from full retarded position,and kick it again. If you push all the way through to the ground and hold it there until the motor stops moving, it should not kick.
I start mine with just a push----not really even a kick.
These flywheels are so heavy that once they start moving, they don't want to stop----
Dale

69camfrk

Post by 69camfrk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:03 am

51Hog wrote:Just make sure the timing is right per FSM and retard the timer all the way.
When you kick it, make sure that you push all the way through and HOLD it there until the engine stops moving. (Sometimes the engine will fire on the rebound and if the kicker is part way up/down, it will kick.)
If it fires but doesn't run, advance the timing 1 or 2 degrees from full retarded position,and kick it again. If you push all the way through to the ground and hold it there until the motor stops moving, it should not kick.
I start mine with just a push----not really even a kick.
These flywheels are so heavy that once they start moving, they don't want to stop----
Dale
Right on. I'll tell ya, I'm a little gun shy after she bit me the other night. I thought I was getting ready for a trip to the hospital. I've had broken bones that I don't think hurt as much. A couple of ice packs later I'm feeling ok though! That Pan brought me down a notch or two!

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:42 am

69canfrk, Why dont you find a late '60's auto advance timer/distributor and you wont have to worry about kick-backs any more ! And it'll idle nicer too. You only have to take the top off of the timer, grind two head fins back about 1/8", and grind the edge of the hole a little and it will drop in without removing the front head. It's one of the best things I ever did to my '48.

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:46 am

How do you support Panhead oil lines, except by the connection at both ends?

Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:29 am

Awander, If you keep the tubes as straight as possible and not curve way out away from the fittings and back with unnessesary length they wont vibrate. (you can see mine are on an angle parallel to the rear cylinder). Or if you have to, they can support each other by straping them together or even just touch together, or use a bracket.,etc. Of course we're talking about on a custom bike here and not stock machines

69camfrk

Post by 69camfrk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:17 am

Guest wrote:69canfrk, Why dont you find a late '60's auto advance timer/distributor and you wont have to worry about kick-backs any more ! And it'll idle nicer too. You only have to take the top off of the timer, grind two head fins back about 1/8", and grind the edge of the hole a little and it will drop in without removing the front head. It's one of the best things I ever did to my '48.
Can you send me some pics on emai and some more details?? Sounds like the deal!

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:48 pm

108:

If it works for you I am not going to argue, but I just don't understand how anything on a Pan could "not vibrate".

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”