Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

How Should a fresh Panhead engine run?

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
OldPanhead

How Should a fresh Panhead engine run?

Post by OldPanhead » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:32 am

This was my first build, a 1953 Panhead. It's taken a long time to get where I am at. Not having been around Old Harley's much I would like to find out how they should run. I am running a Andrews J grind cam with a S&S Super E ( has .0265 int. and .054 main jets), it also has a Morris magneto on it. The rest of the motor is stock. The exhaust is dual into mufflers and baffles. The bike starts on the first kick, idles fine, carb adjustment is still in the works, but within tolerance. It revs to about 3800, 4000 and does not go any further, should it? Could the pushrods be out of adjustment? I know it loads up real quick. Maybe needing better timing adjustment? When I crank the throttle it sounds like a BIG sucking vacuum, but does not really move out that fast. Am I making a big thing out of nothing? Does this sound like a Panhead, if so I can live with it, but I would like to get the best performance I can, no matter what that might be. Thanks up front for any and all the advice.

mbskeam

Re: How Should a fresh Panhead engine run?

Post by mbskeam » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:21 am

check the timing to make sure it is correct.
as to the carb, the main should be around 72 the idle shoud be okay but maybe 1 or 2 sizes to small you just have to see what it runs like and how the plugs look

mbskeam

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:36 pm

54 is too small on the main jet, .265 or 028 should be good. Make sure the accelerator pump is off, or almost so. Check timing, it could be too retarded.
VPH-D

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:28 am

had the same with my new motor,,,advanced timing...good to go

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:15 pm

the main jet is way too small, check the timing too. my pan runs on par with shovel's and mild evo's it should run strong with the mods you have.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”