Where Have All The Panheads Gone?

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
fifty4

Where Have All The Panheads Gone?

Post by fifty4 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:14 pm

I read a story in Iron Works about an "Ironhead" Rally in Chicago and it sounded like a good opportunity to show of your pre-1980s rolling stock. I'm wondering if Panheads ever get together?

I'm riding all over Nashville and Middle Tennessee and NEVER see another Panhead. I don't expect to see one every day, but there's got to be some out there somewhere.

It sounds like most everyone on the Forum has riders and not showbikes. Maybe we ought to figure out a way to meet up once in awhile. A few dozen Panheads in one place would be a sight!

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:51 am

hello,
I hear you on the pan thing, but when was the last time you even seen a knuckle head daily rider or even a flat head?
I feel like the odd man out some times,..... aint it great 8) and after this weekend I'll let you know who many" old bikes" are at the show I'm going to
mbskeam

thsmith

Post by thsmith » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:50 pm

54, I am with you, I belong to the Harley Email Digest(HED) and there is something they do that would be cool if this forum did it and that is a Meet In The Middle (MITM), middle being the middle of the country, usaully aroung ST Louis.

I plan to be in Davenport this year maybe some of the folks here could plan to have a face to fave meet and greet.

If there was enough interest I would not mind hosting such an event in Dallas TX, however Spring or fall would be best time as right now iti is hotter than hell.

Tracy

rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Post by rigidpanman » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:08 pm

i hear ya`ll.i went to the smoky mountain smoke out this year and i have never seen so many real pans in the same place at the same time.you just never see them on the road though.

57pan

Post by 57pan » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:01 pm

Here in Grand Rapids, MI, they have a free outdoor blues concert that really draws the biker crowd. http://www.57panhead.com/parking%20lot.htm In fact, that is where I found my bike. Anyways, there may be upwards of 400 bikes in the parking lot and the last time I was there I think I only saw two other panheads in the lot. A few shovels, no knucks.

Personally though, I don't mind being unique - kind of makes mine extra special. :lol:

Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:05 pm

Trying to delete this message.
Last edited by Ohio-Rider on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:09 pm

I agree with all of you. You just don't see the old-rides out there anymore.
For the past several years a local radio station here sponsors a bike night once a week at a local bar/restaurant. They do a head count as you arrive and normally there are between 1200 and 1600 bikes that show up every week. Mostly newer bikes "evo's and such" Out of all those bikes you may spot 2 or 3 panheads all being ridden by guys in their 50's to 60's. I don't understand why the younger guys don't get more involved with the older bikes. It's not that they don't have the cash cause most of their bikes cost twice what my old 56 is worth. Whats going to happen to all these beutiful machines when all us older guys get to old to kick em anymore?[/quote]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Detroitblue1

Where have all the pans gone

Post by Detroitblue1 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:52 pm

Speaking from a younger guys perspective the Pans are too troublesome for most riders today. You ride a little bit and you wrench alot. It is some much more appealing to get on push the button and ride across country very fast. That is just progess. Plus you still get the girl with a new bike. Pans are for the fella's to sit around and compare notes.

Secondly, I have about as much dumped into my Pan as these guys do into their new bikes ( stock) however it is so much easier to finance a new bike and then pay a $200.00 a month note to get into the Biker game. I had too come up with the hard cash and spend months to get a old Pan (restored) and it still requires maintenance and repairs.

Thirdly is that most pan owners are a little timid about riding outside of that 50 mile radius of their garage so that make is unlikely that you will see very many of them out of town at the big events unless it is a trailered bike.

With all that said, I still would love participate in a Panhead rally with all the bikers on this site. I would go out my way to make it to that event even if it was on a trailer.

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:45 pm

I think there is a difference between the USA and Europe when it comes to riding old bikes. In general old bikes are more ridden over here, trailers are not a common sight.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:09 am

hello,

all I got to say is......

TRAILER???? TRAILER!!!!!!!!.... WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN TRAILERS

we ride PANHEADS... and other old stuff

mbskeam

garage queens can go DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have a good ride LOL

chucktx

Post by chucktx » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:31 am

i totally agree with you mbskeam!!!!!!!
chucktx

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:13 pm

I can have 300 bike poker runs pull in to the bar across the street from my shop, and have maybe three people look in my front window. If a young sidewalk commando does swagger in, he's looking for tee shirts and sunglasses.

Motorcyclists no longer have to worry about maintenance, unless they blow a speaker.

The "man-and-his-machine" connection is going extinct, except for picking a new color of paint every season. Now its all about "lifestyle".
Middle-aged men dressed in ironed denim and embroidered leather with at least a half-dozen licensed accessories will ask if my Knuck is "an old shovelhead". The un-washed tribal units can be worse in that they booger up machines without a clue, often believing that a "rat" is created by hanging dead animals all over a bike instead of riding it to death.

This is what happens to a breed when it gets too popularized.
Remember what Rin Tin Tin did to German Shepherds!!

rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Post by rigidpanman » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:28 pm

i agree cotten,i want a new evo so bad i can taste it,but i just cant see myself on one.i reckon im going to have to make my pan as road friendly as possible.the older i get the more i want to ride on the highway.

Ohio-Rider

Post by Ohio-Rider » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:05 pm

Hey Detroit-Blue if you ever do line up a PanHead Rally let us know. I'll be the first one to sign up. The wife and I put about 5k a year on my 56 pictured above and are always looking for fresh places to go. We take it up to the Detroit area at least twice every summer. (Got lots of family up there.)
Normally a 4hr. ride to Detroit in a cage takes us about 7hrs. I'm getting older and need lots of pit stops and pops. Heading up to Traverse City on the week of Aug.-8 for a few days. Been riding this 56 for about 7yrs. and it's only been hanging off the back of a hook once when I tried to short cut a clutch problem. I've found that if you put the time into repairing things properly PanHeads are very reliable pieces of machinery. That my 2 cents worth. -Steve-

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:21 pm

If you want to see Panheads:

August 12-14:

27e INTERNATIONAL WEEKEND, H-DC The Oldtimers, Julialaantje 24, Rijswijk Netherlands), BBQ, 4 Bands, Ride-out, Only American Motorcycles build before 1966 are invited to join the fun, info 076-3618066.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”