looking at a 1949, what do you think

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
rich

looking at a 1949, what do you think

Post by rich » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:14 pm

i am looking at a 1949 serial# 49FL4836 it does not have the original front end, tanks or fenders, seat etc. it has a modern wideglide front end and cut off fenders i believe it has the correct hd frame but i don,t realy know what to look for. it has a 12volt system with a regulator and a brass linkert carb, paint is ok, it has a superglide gas tank and a small lapera solo seat right on the frame, no springs, runs strong, looks good
2 questions:
* should the serial #s have a * or - marks, numbers are at the top of case left side between barrels
* does $8500 sound like to much

i have not seen much at this price what do you think, the bike has good tires and a front disk and hydralic rear drum. i asked a few bike shops around here (long island ny) they say to much $ but they have junk for more $ what do you think

Ripley/Fla
Ex-member

Re: looking at a 1949, what do you think

Post by Ripley/Fla » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:57 am

I would purchase a copy of Bruce Palmer's 'How to restore your Harley' book. It will be money well spent. For the #'s, do a search on this site about them. Then, get a can of brake cleaner and lay in the dirt and look at the theft numbers on the bottom of the cases. You'll know if something isn't right. For the frame, get a copy of the new V-Twin catalog and look at the reproduction frames. You should be able to tell if it is stock, custom, or a weld-on hard tail. As for the price, who knows. The key is a good motor that doesn't need to be rebuilt right away. Check out the condition of the fasteners - if they don't know what they are doing on the outside - then they don't know what they are doing on the inside. As it is a custom bike, do NOT think of restoring it. Ride it, upgrade it when something catches your eye, and enjoy that 60 year old blast from the past!!!

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”