58 hydra glide??????

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
dusty dan
Bikes: 57-58 fhl

58 hydra glide??????

Post by dusty dan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:38 am

is there such thing as a 1958 hydra glide? I'm going to be getting what seems to be a 58. All the numbers match on the case and tranny and they are all 58 but everything i have been reading only shows Duo glydes in 58. Even if its a 58 powertrain in a pre 57 frame i still love the bike just curious!

Pomike

Re: 58 hydra glide??????

Post by Pomike » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:55 pm

Well, as far as I know 1957 was the last year Harley made a hardtail big twin. Someone else might know if there were any special order hardtails for police, or something, in following years. You can put the motor in almost any year frame. Since the bikes were registered from the engine numbers, it is very comman to see one years motor in another year frame. I just wionder what happened to all of the old factory fixtures for the Panheads, etc. It would sure be nice to be able to do it like the factory did. OOPS! There I go, dreaming again. I don't know what the bike you are buying is like, whether it is original style, chopped, modifiied, etc., but the mixture of two different years for the motor/frame definitely takes away from the value to a cetain extent. Maybe you can let us see the bike when you get it. Good luck, and enjoy!!
Mike

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:13 pm

I put my '59 motor in a '55-57 rigid frame and avoided the 32E generator and relay woes, for the 61A generator and voltage regulator. I used the '58-64 oil line plumbing to the filter and it all squashed in very nicely, like Harley would have designed (I'm sure you've all heard that from many before), if they'd known about it in 1957. All 6V. The low-lit antique beacon through the night with a glow from the dash. Very comforting.
You can do the same thing. The only mental-metal part is creating a new oil filter bracket. There's pics of it on the Repop section of this site. You have to be registered here to view it, but here's a couple snapshots.
feedline17165lm9.jpg
Bracket on left was made from a rigid Pan oil filter bracket. No other changes need to be made.
oilfltrdone4176ap0.jpg
The best features of both eras. The maintenance & mystery of the 32E and it's relay are history to me - except without question, on a Knuckle.
The FX shifter cam ratchet top jockey is forward, then all the way back. It makes a difference. Believe me.
Whip's it real good up rubberized-asphalt canyons. The 5:10 x 16 Chin-Chengs can be put close to the sidewall at 55 mph, which produces the "spin and grin" we've always longed for in a sport. It's an engineered fun ride when there's no traffic holding you back. No question about it.

* Not shown is the (34006-74) 1975-E79 FX shifter cam. Available now, until supplies run out @ http://nosparts.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Happy building here at hydra-glide.com, "where never is heard a discouraging word".

We still need a rigid Panhead 2" wide decal (design that won-out with the poll) with a Hydra-Glide.com bottom rocker in the historical m/c style.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:05 am

VT wrote:
"Happy building here at hydra-glide.com, "where never is heard a discouraging word"."

Tolerance is a virtue that is lost on almost every other vintage (USA-made) motorcycle forum,... Much less basic Freedom of Speech!

I do not agree with (or even understand) many things that VT posts, but I will tirelessly defend his right to post them for those that can. And I have a basement full of Goodyears.

...Cotten

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”