Reference Material

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Reference Material

Post by Hauula Pan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:49 am

I am rebuilding my 1952 Panhead and while I've had the bike for over 20 years, it has always been far from stock. I am now going back to a stock configuration, not a restoration, I'm using a lot of after market parts etc. but basically stock look. While I've rebuilt the engine & trans. many times and ran various front ends and wheels and brakes over the years these have always been custom. Like a 15" rear with Hurst disc brakes etc. My problem is I have not had much experience with the actual stock components like the internal neck lock, internal throttle and spark controls, proper horn & tool box mounting etc. The Panhead repair manual is pretty much worthless in this regard and Palmer's book, "How to Restore Your Harley" is good for identifying original parts, it is not much help in assembling them. Some parts manuals show break down but again aren't much help in assembling them. Can anyone recommend a good reference manual, book, etc. that will aid in telling how to actually put some of these items together, ie proper order of the concave mount pieces on the horn bracket, spacers on the tool box and besides the 2 bolts that go to the bracket what is the 3rd spacer & bolt for, does it go to the fender? I could really use some help with these misc. stock items so if there is a good reference source available please let me know. Thanks. Hauula Pan.

Cotten

Re: Reference Material

Post by Cotten » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:58 am

HP!

Besides the Service Manual and the Parts Book, the most valuable reference is Bruce Palmer's "How to Restore Your Harley-Davidson" (Motorbooks International).

....Cotten

Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:29 am

Cotton, thanks for the quick reply, I already have Palmer's book, How to restore your Harley, like I said it is great for identifying proper parts for specific years etc. but it does not have much on assembly. Any other suggestions?? I did find an answer to one thing in the posts here. I found a good description of how the neck lock goes together. Maybe my best shot is ask people in the forum. I'm new to this internet forum stuff but it seems like there are a lot of people with the knowledge if I ask the right questions.

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:21 am

hp

a copy of the "complete dealers list of spare parts '49 to '57" is a good source of diagrams.

it shows general order of assembly and the number of washers and lock washers etc. (it does have some errors but is mostly correct)

originals are pricey but many folks offer reprints, mine came frome antique cycle supply.

and of course you can always ask here too!

john

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:09 am

In the Knowledge Base you can find the 1941 - 1954 spare parts list: http://www.hydra-glide.com/scripts/toc92.php

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:55 pm

hp

Clymer's has a repair manual for Panheads. It's pretty good. It's very good if you cross check its procedures with the info you find in Palmer's, parts manuals, and the info in the knowledge base right here.

There's also a book called "Original Harley Davidson Panhead - The Restorer's GUide" by Greg Field. It has some interesting data and LOTS of pictures. I find that helpful.

steve

Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:24 pm

Thanks for the replies and I will be looking into a couple of those books. I found a couple answers for mounting things looking through some earlier forum posts so I think I've found the right place when it comes to asking for help. I appreciate that those of you with the knowledge are generous and willing to help.

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:20 am

And a Kick-Start Cycle Parts catalogue. Every other page is tech information. I have found it useful many times.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”