Small Parts

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Small Parts

Post by Hauula Pan » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:31 am

I've been looking at the parts books and some maint. manuals but can't find good pictures or instructions on assembly of 4 items, so I'm hoping some of you can provide good written instruction of maybe a couple of good close up pictures of these parts as they are installed. My first question is about the neck lock on a 49 Pan. I found a great picture in the post showing how it goes together and where to drill for the roll pin to keep it in place but I am confused about how it engages the Tree Stem. I'm guessing the Stem needs to be drilled for the plunger to engage it. My Tree Stem is not drilled so can anyone tell me how to measure and drill it properly?? And doesn't that weaken it?? Ok Question 2, I can't figure out the proper sequence and direction for installing the convex spacers and lock washers etc. when mounting the horn bracket to the frame. Question 3, The tool box - the 3rd bolt the long one with the spacer, what does it attach to?? The fender?? And the last Question the Headlight, mount bracket and cover tin. I'm again guessing here the bracket mounts to the frame with spacers and bolts, then the tin goes on the forks and the headlight is bolted through the tin to the bracket???? Its mostly the spacers that have me confused. Appreciate any help on these, and some pictures would be great. Mahalo. (Thanks)

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Small Parts

Post by Panacea » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:45 pm

Try puting a layer of modeling clay on the area of the stem where the pin will engage, slide the stem up into the neck and install top tree as usual. Then, with the fork turned all the way to the left, slide the locking pin out with the key until it leaves an impression on the stem. Carefully remove the stem and drill a slightly larger hole for the pin to engage. I believe the pin is 1/2" so maybe 9/16". let us know how it turns out....Mike

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:14 am

Are you installing these tins for the first time? If so you'll find that unless the correct fork cups and bearings are used, the mounting holes won't line up correctly. Let us know if you have a problem. Mike

Perry
Bikes: 1957 FLH Hand Shift
2015 Ultra Low

Post by Perry » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:58 am

Question 3; I think the after market fastener kit for your tool box comes with extra parts to accommodate other model frames. That was the case with the fasteners I got for my '57.

- Perry

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:37 am

Yes this is the first time I will be putting this front end together. Previously I ran an after market set of trees on a frame that had the neck cut down to run a girder. In order to go back to a wide glide I machined oversize (extra tall) bearing cups to make up the distance between the trees. They worked fine for many years but I have now got a new frame & front end to go back to a stock configuration. I never ran any tins on the old front end as the trees were not designed for them so this is my first experience with stock style trees, and tin. I will be visiting family over the Holidays but plan to get back to assembling the front end right after New Years, so I'll let you know how it all lines up or not as soon as I get back on it. And thanks for the idea on aligning and marking where to drill for the lock. The only idea I came up with was marking it through the front hole and then hope I could accuratly make another mark 180 deg. from that. OK will keep you posted. Aloha H.P.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”