Restoring a 65 Pan Motor

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panz4ever

Restoring a 65 Pan Motor

Post by panz4ever » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:42 pm

Have a 65 Pan that I bought in '70 after I came home. With the exception of paint tires and an Andrews cam it has stayed in stock condition. I am finally going to do a complete motor rebuild and not just a top end. Couple of questions - 1. Does anyone know of a good shop that can restore the original cam. (Yes the Andews runs better but I would like to put the original one back in if possible.); 2. This motor, for some reason, does not have the oil screen components mounted in the case that is pictured everywhere for this model. The tappets are hydraulic and have never given me any problem. There is what looks like a plug where the oil sceen cap should go. There is no indiciation that the plug broke off. It is recessed perfecltly. Is this just a fluke on the part of the Motor Complany or do I need to fix this on the rebuild.

rigidpanman
Bikes: 49 fl,71 honda 750 sohc k1,98 cbr600f3,2)gl1100 goldwings

Post by rigidpanman » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:34 pm

panz,any cam grinder out there can regrind your cam,therefore refinishing it so to speak.also,good luck on the rebuild.

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:58 pm

I have used a shop out of Selma, Alabama, in the past. They are responsible for me saving all the old cams that I get my hands on. I haven't sent them off, yet. Just saving. They are as follows:

Schiffer Cam Regrinding Service
1524 Broad Street
Selma, AL 36701

334-875-3402
stevenschiffer@yahoo.com

Give them a call, or email, and talk to them about what you have.

Jack

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:13 am

Most 5-digit '65s did not have the overhead oiler tappet screen. It was a mistake that the Factory continued to make well into the next production year. There is no serious reason to "correct" it, as long as you intend to keep your oil changed.

I really doubt that your andrews cam runs any better than the original, unless you stripped the machine down a few hundred pounds and always run it WFO.
Ironically, I believe the andrews is the only 'major' outfit now offering an authentic FLH grind...
(Well,..duh! They shoulda thought of that two decades ago.)

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”