Shipping a bike

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panz4ever

Shipping a bike

Post by panz4ever » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:23 am

Anyone out there recommend/not recommend a company for shipping a bike from east coast to west coast. Got to get a bike from coast to coast and unfortunately do not have time to ride it instead having it shipped. Looked in Walnecks mag and they list three...funtransports.com, motorcycleshippers.com and haulbikes .com. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Its an old stock bike and I want to make sure it arrives in good condition. Thx

64duo
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:26 pm

I have used Federal several times. As with any shipper, delivery date was always in flux. Probably because I live in the middle of nowhere. Been happy with care of bike though.
http://www.funtransport.com/
64duo

64duo
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:26 pm

I have used Federal several times. As with any shipper, delivery date was always in flux. Probably because I live in the middle of nowhere. Been happy with care of bike though.
http://www.funtransport.com/
64duo

kell

shipping

Post by kell » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:24 pm

Check out www.forwardair.com
caveat: I have not used them.
But I did check it out. They do not do door-to-door. You have to take it to an airport and pick it up at an airport. You have a choice of putting it in your own crate or using one of forwardair's bike crates. If you use forwardair's crate they might charge you a storage fee for any extra time the bike sits at the destination in their crate. That's because they have a limited number of those crates, or at least this was the case when I talked to them (about a year ago).

You can save money if it's convenient for you to drop your bike off and pick it up at airports where forwardair has operations.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”