All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
milwaukee
Bikes: http://harleydavidsonwarboy.blogspot.fr/

1941 WL Documentation

Post by milwaukee » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Hi 45'ers !
i am working on documentation about the 1941 WLs ( south african defence )
and i would like to know if some of you - by chance - have any complete or incomplete , or crankcases set of this model laying around .
can you give me your VIN numbers ?
i am trying to estimate ( less or more ) how many were built , and from what number to what number .
all said about this in B.Palmer's books are too thin and need to be digged ( completed...)
i am actually - little by little - restoring one of these rare models , coming from Madagascar , and i go ahead from surprise to surprise !
i knew since the beginning these models were early supplyed with a short , then , earlyer , with a long fork .
but these last times : i also have discovered that they were also supplyed with TWO different styles frames ( maybe one early and one late )
if , by chance , i can get the higher vin number and the lower , by verifications and estimations on B.Palmer's book : i think i will be able to get a good idea on WHEN the early BECOMES late style ( Palmer says in his book how many were built .)
then : it will be easy to say " this motor goes in an EARLY frame ( with short forks ) and this one in a LATE frame ( with long forks )"
and by this way , it will be also possible to determinate the exact casting numbers ( casting-data ) of the gearbox crankcase and also the cylinders...... ;
but let's dream !
first : i need to find the lowest and the highest VIN number .i know the result will NOT be 100% perfect , but it will give a good idéa on "how-to-correctly-restore" a 41 WL....
you can answer on this thread or , if you prefer , at milwaukee.belle@free.fr .
any comment , remember or suggestion is highly welcomed !
Fran-6

Billy

Re: 1941 WL Documentation

Post by Billy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:21 am

Fran-6, ;D
Good to hear from you. Doing more research. You are a very thorough man.. I know you will find the answers that have been elusive for many ages...Hope you get your needed info to further your research, that will benefit all....
Billy

milwaukee
Bikes: http://harleydavidsonwarboy.blogspot.fr/

Re: 1941 WL Documentation

Post by milwaukee » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:05 am

:-/ Okay Guys !
i have had a lot of messages about this in my mailbox ....but it seems i am not "out-of-problems"
it seems , most of the times only CIVILIAN 41 WL exists in everybody's mind , and the military version is kinda ghost .
i have seen a lot of restored bikes , all stamped 41 WL .
how can i do to know if under original condition they were - or not - military models ? ( now , they only show 15% of theyr original parts
both are stamped the same way " 41 WL "
the only thing i know is the one i own is a true military bike , and by the past ; i have seen two others coming from the same place
i keep on my researches .....maybe i will find the answers in some...........years ?

....these smileys are very fun ..... :

Fran-6

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”