Moose
Bikes: 04 Softail w/131
50 Pan
2011 Ultra
1998 Low Rider

1950 Pan coming apart

Post by Moose » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Author: moose

Starting next weekend I finally have some time and am taking down my 50 pan barn find. My question is that I will take digital pictures of all the disassembly steps and use plastic bags to mark all the parts I can. Anyone else have any suggestions of what I should be doing so when it goes back together it will actually go back together. I also picked up a bunch of plastic containers for some of the larger items that I will disassemble so I can keep them in place.
Almost everything I have is original and it wll get restored to originial but it will also be a rider. I have 3 other bikes to ride in the mean time my fatboy, fxr and busa so I've got plenty to keep busy.

thanks
Moose
Glenn Mills Toms River NJ

Post by fourthgear

moose
Definitely take photos at all possible angles ,if any thing just for fitments questions. Books are good ,but nothing like seeing it assembled . I keep all my Major groups together ,ie; primary,motor, tranny,controls, etc. and then you can clean and refurbish as you go and assemble when groups are done and ready to go together. Label if ya want, theres a lot of small stuff in there .I use a biodegradable degreaser called Formula 88 (any auto parts store should have it ), it does a good job and you can wash it down the drain , I also use hot water to rinse and if you paint anything use acetone to prep for priming.

Post by moose

thanks
Im sure I'll have lots of questions as I get rolling

Glenn

Post by Cotten

Moose!

I know these are not the answers you want to hear, but...
Please understand that:
If you take it apart, it's broken.
It's only "original" once.
Running "barn finds" are always going to be worth more than expensive restorations,
They will always get more attention,
and frankly, they are a helluva lot more fun to ride if you don't have to worry about scratching something.
Just a little "truthiness" to keep my karma clean.
Now do as you please, and I'll even help you chop it if you like.

.....Cotten

Post by Jack Hester

I sure am glad that Cotten spoke up. I can't even stress enough as to the importance of what he stated. It ain't old and original, but just once. Please be careful to leave it so. Cotten and I both know of individuals who have successfully restored a machine, mechnically, and never changed the original as-found appearance. They are so very much more valuable. It you do feel the need to modify away from original, please find one that has already been modified. Sorry for the concern. I have spent so many years un-modifying machines. But, as he said, whatever you decide, everyone is here to help you do it right.

Jack

Post by moose

It appears that it has been apart once already the frame is a burgandy and the tanks and fenders, so not really all original as far as anything else it looks original.

Glenn Mills

Post by panacea

And I might add,If you plan to re-build the motor...let the guy that will be assembleing the motor also take it apart, this is where he can scope out how the parts were wearing and find valuable insight, feel the rod shake etc. I had to have my cases repaired by headhog so I dissasembled everything and got my ass chewed, but at that time I thought I would be re-assembling,but then decided to go with a pro. Mike

Post by Cotten

(Mike! Please don't take this reply personally, T'aint aimed at you!)
Love that "feel the rod shake" part!
Many years ago, all the wrenches in a shop I worked out of would take turns feeling lower ends before they were torn down, and opinions would fly.
And we went through a fair share in just a couple of years. Mostly tired Chubbles.

In the immortal 'final analysis':
Tight ones could hide disastrous fatal flaws, and ones that seemed loose occasionally didn't even show "impaction" marks from particulates: pristine!

The damn things might as well have been at the bottom of a bucket of paint when we inspected them assembled.
If you take something apart, you gotta fix it. Any stone unturned will hide something that will bite you. Like the old "fresh topend on a weak lower" syndrome.
Or tossed tappet rollers after a rad cam is put in.
You get my point: Good money after bad.
Cover all bases the first time, and cut no corners based on assumptions, guestimates, or instincts.

(Disclaimer: Liberty closed the doors on new motor and chassis accounts over three years ago, so this is not a pitch.)

....Cotten
(PS: Not only take lotsa pictures, but use a good photoshop software. My camera is a lifesaver.)

FLHMAN880

Re: 1950 Pan coming apart

Post by FLHMAN880 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:59 am

GLEN,IVE BEEN RESTORING 50 FL FOR 3 YEARS NOW, I USE 4 OR 5 DIFFERENT SIZE ZIP LOCK BAGS WITH A WHITE STRIPE ON THEM THAT YOU CAN WRITE ON WITH A MARKER TO LABEL, I LIVE IN TOMS RIVER ALSO, I HAVE SOME TWOS AND THREES OF SOME PARTS, LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANYTHING. FLHMAN 880

Re: 1950 Pan coming apart

Post by Guest » Fri May 01, 2009 11:12 am

maybe we could get together and share some notes

glenn

732 600 7653 is my cell

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”