Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

1957 Pan (what do you guys think)

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
jd

1957 Pan (what do you guys think)

Post by jd » Fri May 05, 2006 6:48 am

I've got a line on a 57 pan original uncut frame. Looks I would rate it at "good " not great and not excellent. It runs good (I havn't heard it though) but (from what the owner said) just started to leak oil out of the chain oiler when the bike is not even running. He had someone put a new oil pump on and it still leaks. It will drain the tank dry just flow right out. The bike is freeking awesome in my book and he said the lowest he would go is 7000.00. My question to you guys is ...Is it worth the chance that it's not something major? It even has the rear bike stand still on it. original tanks with shifter.

Cotten

Re: 1957 Pan (what do you guys think)

Post by Cotten » Fri May 05, 2006 7:12 am

JD!

"Sumping" is a minor, although irritating, fact of life. But there is a very simple way to deal with it, should you make it your own.
The leakage has little or no bearing upon the value of the machine. Hopefully, it just means oil was recently added!
Please consider only what it is worth to you.

Sounds exciting.

...Cotten

JD

Post by JD » Fri May 05, 2006 7:09 pm

My fear is getting ripped off and finding out nothing is any where near original or near the era. But it does look to be. Is there anything I should look out for? I did go and look at it before I posted. It has the fork lock but he doesn't have the key. Is there any way to know for sure that it is a 57 frame and motor? I own a 76 shovel so I get lost when the really vintage Harley talk comes out but I love them though.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Fri May 05, 2006 9:12 pm

Take it for a ride if possible! The price doesn't sound to bad, bringing a used-up pan back from the brink of extinction can be costly. The end result is a rare treat. I'm begining to think my 51 resto will take a lot longer than I originally thought, no biggie,i can ride my twinkie...MW

Billy

Post by Billy » Sat May 06, 2006 4:12 am

JD-
U asked; "is there any way to know for sure that it is a 57 frame and motor?"

Yes, the motor VIN pad #s will have 57 as the first part then FL or FLH
& then the sequence of build. (for example= 57FLH4973)

As to the frame, it does have *date codes* on the Right side of the top motor mount, Doubtful seller will allow you to remove the gas tank & paint layer(s) to read that code.

Such as D7 D= 4th month 7 = 57 (also should be of course a straight leg rigid frame)

Hope this helps ...

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Sun May 07, 2006 5:08 pm

I just did a frame up rebuild and have 16,000.00 into it including the $ 8,000.00 I paid for the bike . That included complete motor rebuild and trans, all new bearings ,seals etc. , I painted it my self , first time for me to do any painting and it was done with duplicolor foo foo cans. So if you are ready to put that amount of money and a lot of time , go for it . I know mine was worth it , I stop for gas and people get out and take photos with there cell phones.
I went to the Starkebike fest ( first year , Starke ,fl. )this weekend and some one had a restored (had a S&S carb on it ) 48 and were selling it for 25,000.00.

King

Post by King » Sun May 07, 2006 11:16 pm

JD

How original the bike should be is related to how you want to use it. If you are looking to show it in an AMCA event then it better be complete but if you want a good rider you can tolerate quite a bit of changes. The best possible scenario would be to have someone who knows Pans to take a look, barring that, if you can get a copy of Bruce Palmers "How to Restore Your Harley Davidson" you will get all the info you need to determine what's original and what's not.
Obvious things to check are the tins, fenders and tanks. The heads, are they original or after market replacements (STDs), the carburetor and manifold, they should be a Linkert and a rubber band manifold, wheels should be 16" and brakes mechanical.
The most important item to determine is the ownership. How long has the present owner had the bike? Is it registered, inspected, and street legal? Have a good hard look at the title. A 57 Pan has no VIN# like cars and modern Harleys and the credibility of its title rests on the engine # alone. That is the number stamped on the left side of the motor case below the V of the cylinders. Sleeper described the correct numbering sequence and others on this site can help with the shape of the numbers to determine if they are the real thing. Walk away if you are not convinced the bike is clean.
The oil leak problem is, as Cotton said, insignificant and an easy fix. But you should hear the bike run and ride it if possible. An engine rebuild will cost about $3k and a transmission probably $1.5k. $7000 in this market it is a good price if the bike is in good-moderate condition and runs well.

Good Luck

King

JD

Post by JD » Mon May 08, 2006 7:14 am

What is giving me some worry is the numbers on the case aren't in the spot it is supposed to be but just lower and to the left of that is a tag that has been tack welded on with some #'s. Which leads me to believe the cases may not be "original". I'm not going to restore it to impecable condition but I want to feel comfortable with the purchase. The heads are the stock type with the normal exhaust mount not the STD three bolt set-up. I'll have him start it up for me before money is exchanged.

Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt » Tue May 09, 2006 11:52 am

I'd bail on it! If the numbers are screwed with, then you're asking for trouble. I look at bikes this way now.....some may or may not agree, I don't care.......I'll spend good money on a set of cases with a title, or a set of original stamped cases without a title from outside the U.S., then build a bike around them. That is if I was going to use it as a rider and not an AMCA judged bike. fourthgear stated he put $16k into his build, for that money with the quality aftermarket parts (they are out there) you could build a complete bike and still have a lot left over for gas, food, rent, or take your old lady out. I figure you can build a complete, titled H-D, with mostly reproduction parts for around $13k if you can turn a wrench and operate a spray gun.

Just my opinion

Kurt

JD

Post by JD » Tue May 09, 2006 8:08 pm

The #'s may be screwed with but it is titled in Washington state as a 57 FLH. Would that make a difference? Thanks for your .02. And obviously if the #'s arent stamped where they are usually than the cases are not original. Bottom line no exceptions. I apologize for keeping this thread running so ling but I'm on the fence about the purchase. The guy is holding it for me so I have to make a decision today. Some people tell me 7,000. buy it dont even think about it and some say it's just a fair deal. Not good, not great just fair. The motor most likeley has quite a bit of miles on it. I think I'm going to tell him I can't get a truck until tomorrow and I'll investigate the #'s that are on the motor which I'm stupid for not getting yesterday. Thanks everyone...

Also the current owner has owned it for 20 years. Titled and all good. He said he's only put about 5,000 on it because he has alwayse had another bike to ride as a daily rider. Decisions, Decisions...

King

Post by King » Wed May 10, 2006 5:54 pm

JD

I'm basically with Kurt on this one but I would do one more thing.
I would question the owner as to why the numbers are as they are. There is the possibility that it was "renumbered" legally by the Washington DMV. If I remember there was a post sometime ago that explained such a thing.
But if the explanation is not 100% I would walk --fast! Also it might be good in Wash. but what if you wanted to title it in another state?
Definitely have a listen to it and run it through its gears. A little caution will payoff off big down the line.

King

fourthgear

Post by fourthgear » Thu May 11, 2006 11:35 pm

The numbers would really make or break the deal, having bad numbers when you go to an event and have them take for a title check would ( DATONA BIKE WEEK , horror stories ) suck. As far as running and driving , if ya can , its good , but you are going to put some money in it from the way it sounds and I think if I sold my bike I wouldn't let any one ride it unless I knew them real good, let them hear it run and see me ride away , yes but take it for a long ride , I don't think so , they might not come back.

jd

Post by jd » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:09 pm

Thanks guys I appreciate the info and have definitely taken it to heart. Now I will quit clogging up your message board for the time being..

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”