1960 Duo-Glide (an old friend)

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
dj

1960 Duo-Glide (an old friend)

Post by dj » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:06 pm

Author: dj

I've been lurking here for the past three weeks or so, but didn't want to register and speak up to say "Hi" until I was sure of this deal....
After 24 long years I'm buying my '60 panhead back from the same guy I sold it to. It wasn't running when I sold it and I've always regretted parting with it, but now I've finally got the money to bring her back home. He's done some things that I want to change....namely, he installed a Joe Hunt magneto. I want to go 12 volt, because the old 6 volt generator is only occupying the space where it belongs. I've found some good info online on what I need to do the conversion and I'll do that during the winter, because I think I can live with the magneto for the time being. Fortunately he still has the distributor.
The bike has a very stock look, an looks a hellofa lot like dirtydistrict's '58, and in about the same condition, (I've got the black solo seat instead of white) but it has a Mikuni carb, which I'm a little dubious of, but I understand they run pretty good. He also put an enclosed belt drive on it, an idea I do like very much.
Big plus....5000 miles on a fresh engine. I saw the bike today, and it's been sitting for a while, but he claims it would fire up with a little gas. I'm doubting that, and I'm not ready to start it just yet anyway.
I could go on rambling, but I'd just like to say "Hi", and needless to say I'm just about beside myself because this sweetheart should be in my garage early next week and on the road a.s.a.p.

DJ....southeastern Michigan.

Post by DuoDave

Nice one DJ! Friends Re-united! You should be okay with the Mikuni, they are very good carbs. You may want to check if fitting the magneto involved cutting off the mount for the timer control coil bracket (where the regulator was fitted on the pre 58 bikes). If it has gone you will have some minor problems if you want to fit a manual advance timer and an original style trumpet horn.

Post by dj
''Nice one DJ! Friends Re-united! You should be okay with the Mikuni, they are very good carbs. You may want to check if fitting the magneto involved cutting off the mount for the timer control coil bracket (where the regulator was fitted on the pre 58 bikes). If it has gone you will have some minor problems if you want to fit a manual advance timer and an original style trumpet horn.''
Thanks for the heads up on that. If my memory serves, that mount is part of the case and it holds the advance/retard cable bracket? Honestly I didn't notice, but it makes sense that it would maybe need to be milled down to accept the mag. I'll definitely take a look see. (and hoping for the best there). I always held the timer advanced with a spring, but it would be nice to restore the left twist. Is anybody re-making the trumpet horn? In 12 volt? And I'm wondering if it would slip thru the jugs with the Mikuni? Well, can't have everything, but we can try.

Post by DuoDave

You can buy a complete reproduction trumpet horn. Most of the aftermarket catalogues show it. I have one on my bike, but a bicycle bell would be more effective. Even at idle, the exhaust note completely drowns out the sound of the horn! You can get around that by hiding a small horn behind the fork tins. The trumpet sits pretty low between the cylinders, so you should be okay.

Post by Weez

Welcome to the site DJ glad to see you got your baby back ;D
If you want to get rid of the magneto i might be interested, i have a auto advance distributer we can throw in the deal and I have the claw mount to hold it down with (not hard to get)
The Mikuni is a good carb when running rite but I think they are a little tempermental and hard to adjust (my feelings only) Go with a S&S shorty E very good Pan carb for aftermarket, bout the simplest to adjust Though some here swear by the Linkert. !2 volt conversion is a breeze you won't regret(franks, battery & some bulbs) along with Auto Advance distributor as compared to manual. But these are my opinions. But anyway good luck with Bike I know you all got alotta catching up to do!

Post by billy

DJ, Congrats on bringing back home "Your Pan"
24 yrs. gone. It's got to feel good to get her back!! ;D

Post by dj

Yup. Gonna feel good to get my knees in the breeze again. ;D

The guys at work are already making fun of my talking about getting a "museum piece", but they don't know 'shit from Sheboygan' about old bikes, what with their touring Glides, Road Kings, Gold Wings, BMW's, etc... (which I know next to nothing about). But it's gonna be fun parking it there. I think I'll keep a "pre-filled" jar of oil handy to place underneath the thing just to amuse them. I hope it won't need it with the belt drive, but I might do it anyway. Then there will be the inevitable embarrassment of the the 39th kick while the sound of their blaring stereos fade as they ride out of the parking lot.
I'll keep that in mind about the magneto...weezeo, but I may hang on to it for a backup or something, who knows. Thanks for the specific advice on the S&S....I'll look that model up.
What I've really got my eyes on are those black repro bubble bags that http://www.bbreproductions.com/ are offering. Those look really sweet. I saw those on a pic of a '59 somewhere, maybe in the pics section here...VERY COOL.

Dave....another 30+ year guitar picker.....

Post by billy

One thing the guys at work's new bikes do NOT have is "SOUL". Remind them of that. In fact, if there was no Hydra-Glige the Heritage would not exist.
& If there was no Duo-Glide & Electric Glide neither would the Road King, both copies of the "Originals". ;D

PS: Interesting phrase you said, They don't know "Shit from Sheboygan"
Where I was originally from, we said, "Shit from Shinola"
I'm thinking we're meaning the same thing!!

Post by dj

Well,

The rear brake on this thing froze up after sitting for so long, so I played with the cam screws and beat on the plate with a rubber mallet, and we got it to where it will move, but she's still kinda tight. I'm not gonna worry about it too much, if we can get it loose enough to get it up on the truck, I'll have it home today or tomorrow. I'll go thru the entire brake system first thing. The wide glide front brake needs a lever and cable...I would prefer a stock lever, so I'm looking...About 4 or 5 inches of the cable is sticking out of the brake and he says the brake is intact internally, and you can pull on the cable.
He got it cleaned up a bit and she's looking mighty fine, all things considered.
Come to find out he took the Mikuni off it and put it on his '51 motor and put a Bendix on mine. He seemed to have forgot that. He threw in a rebuild kit for the Bendix though. I originally had the stock Linkert, and it seems to have disappeared. I didn't ask.
I think I'll keep the magneto, but I am seriously entertaining the thought of converting the electrical system to 12 volt for the sake of the lighting...etc.
And yes the mount has be milled down on the case for the retard/advance cable clamp, so it seems that an auto-advance timer is the way to go eventually.
Ah...there's so much I want to do with this thing eventually, but if I can get it going this year with what's there, I'll be happy, and then begin to work on everything else. And if I have questions to things I can't figure out, I'll not hesitate to ask, because from what I've seen so far, there are a bunch of really helpful folks here.
I'll post some pics as soon as I'm able.

DJ

Post by Weez

Yea the holes (2) for the distributor should still be there and the claw foot will work to hold the base of the distrib down and Auto Advance is the way to go, if you aren't looking for the restorer's eye. My Pan had a Bendix on it in 75 untill I put the S&S on it (B) then went to the E shorty bout 8 yrs ago and it worked fine with bendix had to rebuild it once a year thou, But I was a rookie back then And didn't know shit from shinola either HAve Great Fun this year
makin memories

Post by dj

SHE IS HOME!!!!!!!!
(as of yesterday)
My son's buddy provided the trailer and we had a 2x10 and five of us....."Ok guys....on three....1...2...3"....up she went, and I heard and felt my right knee....go SNAP!
I twisted it wrong.
I hit the ground. The front tire was up on the trailer bed and I'm on the left side of it looking up and yelling in pain....everybody making sure I was OK....they finished the job. I'm hobbling around and I says to the girls there "old age". They giggle (I'm only 45). My son's buddy says to me kinda covertly..."Hey Dad, (he calls me that sometimes) want something for that knee?".....He pulls out a bottle of Vicodin, and well....any way, we got the thing home with absolutely NO pain! The three boys rolled it down and there she sits...waiting...to come to life once again.
She's so purty.
My knee is better today.
Just like you said Weezeo......"makin memories".
But honestly guys...I don't know 'Shit from Seniorita" about this magneto hook-up....I've got some questions: Does the magneto only produce spark? Does the generator run the lights? If so, would it be possible to hook up a battery in the system to avoid the orange headlight syndrome at stop lights? The previous owner said that he put a 12v generator, regulator and 12v lights on it. Why couldn't I run a battery with the regulator as well? Knowing that the coil and the timer would be the only thing lacking from a conventional rig, is it possible to be set up this way?
I've gotten as much info as I could from the Joe Hunt website, but it doesn't get really specific.
Is this how it works? I just need some clarification.

DJ

Post by kell

As they say in the pharmaceutical industry, there's no "contraindication" to using a battery. Your bike will run with or without it.

Post by Weez

You will still need all of that, regulator generator etc.. the only thing you don't need need is a battery but it would be good to wire one in there So as you don't get the dim lite on low idle. There is a Battery eliminator that fixes that but I don't know anything bout them I am running a mag with a battery this year I have run a mag before but never had a battery (ran spun aluminum oil tank) The Magneto just produces the spark for the plugs and needs no wire into it from the wiring for the bike remember it is always hot! Someone can get on it and kick and they are off to the races. I need to know how to wire in a battery also So if you get a diagram for A Bat with a Mag let me inon it. thanks and Good Luck

Post by dj

Thanks to both of you....
It's amazing what you can dig up on the net if you look hard enough...How's this: http://www.jammerclub.com/wiring07.htm
And the original page for other models and configurations: http://www.jammerclub.com/nohassle.htm

Problem solved, but it may be a little different if you were using a different type regulator, I don't know, and will have to find that out as well, but the basics are here. I think I'm gonna like this setup because from everything I heard and read, a magneto is a very reliable source of ignition spark if you keep it clean inside and well maintained with proper timing, point gap..etc., but I work afternoons and I want constant reliable lighting at 1:00 in the morning, so a battery is a must for me.
If it were a matter of going back to a timer and coil, I remember how to do that from the wiring diagram in the manual. And really, the addition of the magneto would be just like conventional wiring...minus the timer/coil circut.
As far as the "restorer's eye", that would be good, but I just want the thing to run again. I can worry about complete restoration when I retire.

dave

Jerry Flannery
Bikes: 36 knuckle 64 pan 70 sportster

Re: 1960 Duo-Glide (an old friend)

Post by Jerry Flannery » Mon May 10, 2010 5:57 am

When I changed my 64 over to 12 volt I left the 6 volt trumpet horn on. When I push the button "people listen". It had to be readjusted to make the noise but it is LOUD. I figure as long as I don't lay on it for a long time I won't burn anything out. I changed to 12 volts about 28 yrs ago and no problems with it yet.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”