Bead blasting chrome stuff

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sidecar

Bead blasting chrome stuff

Post by Sidecar » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:47 pm

I recently had brand new chrome oil lines bead blasted. I have to admit, I like the way it looks. Took that chrome look right off the parts !!!! As far as I'm concerned, they now look like they are supposed to look.
Since I don't know jack about plating, what am I now left with. Is it really the chrome with a dull finish or has the outer layer been removed. ( I guess I should have asked the person that did it , huh ?? I was so happy, I forgot to ask'em. )
I'm going to check this out some more. I have other chrome parts that I want to get bead blasted.

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Re: Bead blasting chrome stuff

Post by PanPal » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:12 pm

It sounds interesting. I wonder if the small pits will be more likely to start rusting. A surgical tool that a company I worked at made had a buffed and polished finish and we began to glass bead these tools to save manufacturing time. The glass bead finish was nice and even in a short period of time. But the 400 series Stainless would surface rust because the pits were little pockets that held small amounts of water after cleaning. This may not happen with chrome. Does it look Cad plated now? Was the chrome glass beaded or sand blasted?
I used welding slag, I believe it was called black magic, ( not sure) to remove chrome. Pretty cool, the chrome came off in sheets. It is hard on the blasting tips though. You need to use carbide blasting tips to get any kind of life out of the tip.

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:41 am

PanPal,

The lines have the color of mag wheels. Kinda gray looking.
They were glass beaded.
I have had them wet a few times and nothing has happened to them yet.

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:34 pm

Sounds good ;D Glass beading probably didn't poke through to the steel. Sounds like you are still protected by the hard chrome.

DuoDave

Post by DuoDave » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:01 am

High quality chrome plating consists of three coatings ( triple plating ). The first coat is copper to give a smooth finish, next comes nickel to give protection, and finally a very thin coating of chrome to give the shiny appearance. Most aftermarket parts have lousy chrome. If you are unlucky, your oil lines will be back to bare steel, but if they have not rusted, you are probably back to the nickel, which is okay. Before the use of chrome became widespread, nickel plating was the finish of choice on motorcycles. It polishes up nicely and gives a "softer" look than chrome.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:51 pm

Since we are splitting hairs:

"Hard" chrome is an industrial application for bearing surfaces, not cosmetic. Many plating shops don't even offer it.
Original lines weren't even cadmium, as 'restoration' repops are today. They were leaded, like common automotive brakelines. Plating often hardens a metal, and oil lines are subject to not only vibration in their solid installation, but the flared compression fittings (which were cad according to Palmer) become more prone to splitting the tubing.
Good thing replacements are readily available, huh!

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”