Bike locks

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
keys55

Bike locks

Post by keys55 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:03 pm

Hello, I am new to this site. I am a locksmith by trade for the last 17 years. I have a fair idea of locks and keys. {I know everybody has 2 sets, right}. If you have an old kryptonite lock, junk it. They had a commercial on TV of someone opening one with a bic pen. The new ones no longer take the tubular key. The article appeared in my trade magazines as well. There are better locks out there than those anyway. Ever wonder about your chain or cable? Bolt cutters are a given. Personally I consider the chain the weakest link in locking.
I forgot to mention that you can return the kryptonite lock for a new model. They said free of charge, and I bet they mean it. If they ever want to sell another lock they will. All part of damage control. I wonder how many bikes got stolen once it was advertised on TV how to do it? TV got its story and could probably care less, like a lot of the crap that passes as news nowadays.

dj

Re: Bike locks

Post by dj » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:41 pm

First of all, I'd like to ask if you have Briggs & Stratton blanks for the Panhead fork lock? And would you be able to cut them if you were provided with a number?
I've been looking at the Master Lock Street Cuffs.......opinions? Looks like it would take a welder to cut thru it. Or a portable SawsAll? Good grief! That just occurred to me! Thieves could use something like that.

RJ

Post by RJ » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:56 am

I have heard of crooks spraying I think freon or something like that & it supposed to crystalize the metal of the lock. hit it w/hammer said it would break like a china plate ?
Hard to imagine but has anyone heard anything like this ?

keys55

Post by keys55 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:08 am

I can cut Briggs keys by code. I used to cut them for a dealership around here and mail them to him, but he must have been cranking up the price a bit because they started coming here instead. It gives the nieghbors something to gawk at when they stop by on a run.Plus I have a stocked pond behind the house with extra poles so you can fish while you wait. [fishin takes longer]Most of the women will catch but won't touch em. Get's funny sometimes.

Right idea on freezing. wrong liquid. I hesitate to tell you what could be done. There might be a thief out there who had not thought of the method, and I do not want to give them any ideas. A portable saw would take too long and make too much noise. Most good locks will dull a blade in one in no time flat. I have never used one or bolt cutters to open a lock or cut a chain or cable. I do like a fork lock. Most thieves can not pick a lock, since they are in a hurry and fork locks are hard to get to.

chucktx

Post by chucktx » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:32 am

i for one am glad you have posted about the locks and chains. i am in the market for a new lock chain and lock. any recommendations?? i heard about the kryptonite, and i see them advertised in a lot of mags and on line. how can one tell if it is a new version or one of the old ones that a person/dealer is getting rid of?? thanks
chucktx

RJ

Post by RJ » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:54 am

Yea, your right, don't post any new ideas as the wrong person could get a new idea!!!

keys55

Post by keys55 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:32 am

The difference is easy to spot. If it takes a round key it is an old one. Whatever you get, make sure it is hardened. There are different degrees of this too, plus materials used. Boron alloy is stronger than regular case hardening. I like high security locks with a shrouded [hidden] shackle. They can be a real bear sometimes. I like the cuffs,not the lock that is in it though. One last thing,. WHAT YOU CHAIN IT TO IS VERY IMPORTANT . I bet you know what I am talking about. Nothing is foolproof, but I try to make it as hard as I can.

One thing on fork locks. A lot of the old ones are frozen up. An easy way to tell is to ckeck for play in them. Insert any key in them and see if they will give a little side to side. A lot won't. That is a common problem. People wash but never lubricate afterwords. The soap has alkalyd wich hardens and eats into the metal and creates a pretty good bond sometimes. You can try and un freeze it by spraying the poop out of it with a rust cutter, or take it out and let it soak in same. At about 1 o'clock there is a TINY roll pin and it does not move easy either. I drilled my lock out to find out this info since it was all ate up. Got the lock outand then found out the pin that slides in and out was frozen too. That was also a treat to get out. I hate to be long winded, but I have learned a lot about locks in the past years and a lot of people never think about locks until they do not work. Use TRI FLOW to lub. It has teflon and is a step above WD40.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:12 pm

hello
fork lock, padlock thru the chain, and silent page alarm and if all else fails........
ACP as a chaser

mbskeam

if all else fails just keep a eye on it.

jarhead

Post by jarhead » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:08 pm

Running a rear disc. Are all disc locks similiar? Whats the difference between the cheepees and good ones? Of course looking for the best security.

kell

Post by kell » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:12 am

My problem is, that when I put a lock on the bike somewhere I forget that it is there.
I was up in the Adirondacks, stopped at a trailhead and put a padlock through one of the holes in my rear disc. Came back, started up let out the clutch and wham there's a padlock all jammed up in my calipers. Miles from nowhere.

dj

Post by dj » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:43 am

keys55...

Is it OK if interested parties contact you to get fork lock keys made? Mine is OEM and I'll have to get the # for you. A locksmith would be a good service around here.
VintageTwin did a great how-to on removing and installing aftermarket fork locks. viewtopic.php?t=66" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

keys55

Post by keys55 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:05 am

No problem on cutting keys. I try and use original key blanks when I can. I just prefer them. Probably around $5.00 for 2 keys. Plus shipping and whatever a stiff envelope costs. You will not have more than $7.00 total. Check lock first to make sure it is still alive . Open the shutter and probe the pins to see if they will move up and down.ON DISC LOCKS, there are differences. Kryptonite make a New York model that is not half bad and it comes with a cable so you DO NOT DRIVE OFF WITH IT ON. JP cycles has some neat airplane markers for this problem too.

Mbskeam, I like the remote alarm too and a noisy one, and the self contained units. I have not invested in a pager. I saw they even have ground tracking for them too by satellite. Is that ACP? I always try to keep an eye out too. I though about a decoy bike[junk] with the frame filled with C4 and a remote detonator. Kinda thin out the thieves a bit. I will never do it, but it is a thought. The army will do that to you.RJ , GOT IT. THANKS!!!

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:54 pm

hello,
my alarm is from jc whitney for 100.00 it comes with a pager and it works well.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”