Changing title to proper year for engine/frame

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
keys55

Changing title to proper year for engine/frame

Post by keys55 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:45 am

Okay, here is one I have been trying to change for years. I bought my bike in 1984. , It has a factory 56 motor, the title reads assembled vehicle 1975. I have brought it back close to original. Any ideas on how to get the title changed to a 56. I got pulled over and the cop says, HEY, that is not a 75. I llook at my bike and he is right. {Can not get much past the local law enforcement here]. Tried the title office. An exercise in futility, so far.Anybody ever try this one before. Any suggestions?

fourthgear

Re: Changing title to proper year for engine/frame

Post by fourthgear » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:46 pm

If the frame is post 1970 ( 70 & up ) , the title will go with it . If you have a 1956 type frame ( hard tail of course ) , the title should be with the numbers on the boss of the motor, if the motor is numbered . Now if you have an org. frame and good numbers on the motor , where did the registration number on the title come from ? You must have that 1975 number some where to have it titled as one .
If the motor or frame have no numbers , the bike is not titled or if you have a 56 numbered motor , but the title is , as you said , for a 1975 and if there are no numbers or special construction numbers on the frame with that 75 number , it would still be an untitled bike . There has to be more to this .

Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:42 pm

Keys55...going through pretty much the same thing as Mine reads a 1976 assembly title...contacted my local Legislator and he contacted the WV DMV....a very nice lady called me in 2 hours and told me she had reviewed my situation and would work on getting mine titled 1948...she said it may take several months. but be patient...I plan on contacting her this week...it has been 4 months so far...you may want to attack the same way...Skip

keys55

Post by keys55 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:24 am

1956 frame, engine, transmission,fenders,etc.

Thanks Skip. Never thought of that.

BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:03 am

Some states used to allow you build a bike from "junkyard" parts, bikes that had salvage titles, etc. Then the state would assign a serial number and call it the year that the state issued number was attached. (As long as the motor number was clean, even though it may have been oficially totalled and branded "salvage only". Some state will issue a title for the proper year if you jump through a few hoops. Make sure that if you replace any non-serialized major components such as swing arm, forks, transmission, frame, you have a receipt for a new part, or the serial number of the wrecked bike that supplied the part if it's used. They have gotten a little tough in recent years. You may end up with a title with the correct year, but the "assembled from parts" branding on the title. sometimes they will asign a full 18 digit VIN with a state prefix such as FL-XXXXXXXXXXX, (FL being Florida) SS-XXXXXXXXXX (SS being secretary of state, the way some states mark them) just be patient and don't try to bullshirt the dmv people, when you piss them off, life can become pretty miserable. If your motor number comes up hot, expect to have it impounded.

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:18 pm

Its only a mess if the frame has been stamped (or the VIN altered, of course.)
Just apply for a lost title to the VIN number.

...Cotten

coach

Post by coach » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:57 pm

Up here in Saskatchewan, Canada the guv has a 'home-built" designation much like the year assembled which can be very hard to change once it's assigned to a bike. Interesting is my 60 servicar which was owned by the local police. They replaced the motor in 66 with a WLA and when they auctioned it off in the 70's that's what it was registered as. The three owners before me all looked into having that changed but at the time was too much hassle. I had to get a provincial vehicle number assigned and stamped on the frame to re-register the bike as a 1960. I call them the Oops numbers as the guy stamping the numbers bounced the hammer and double stamped a number, yeah they use single digit dies to stamp an 11 digit number. Crudest set of numbers I've ever seen on a bike in 30 years.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”