Choppers and bobbers: what is in a name

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
suicideshovel65

Choppers and bobbers: what is in a name

Post by suicideshovel65 » Thu Dec 25, 2003 1:37 am

Hi all,

I see a lot of references to "choppers" and "bobbers", and I believe I know what these words mean. I have also on occasion seen reference to a few others that aren't so clear - can any of you old timers / State-siders clue me in? :

Digger - is this a goose-necked and raked frame with the forks way out front?
Billy bike - saw a reference to this in the Easyrider thread - I haven't seen the movie in years...
'Frisco style - is this the basis for "old school"? I'm thinking 21" front on a standard rake frame, with apes...?

Any other acknowledged styles?

Cheers,

S.

53rigidrider

Re: Choppers and bobbers: what is in a name

Post by 53rigidrider » Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:37 am

I always heard that a chopper was a bike with all the garbage wacked off. Some had stretched and raked frames.
A bobber was a race type bike that had the hinged fender wacked off, and a bobbed front fender. After that, it was usually a stocker.
As for types of bikes, I've always favored the Frisco style, since that was my early childhood exposure.
If you check on this site, we had a little debate about this...real educational!

;)

53rigidrider

Post by 53rigidrider » Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:42 am

Here's a Frisco....http://www.bikernet.com/bikebarn/FriscoReborn-1.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Her's another sampling...http://www.chopperdaves.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

DuoDave

Post by DuoDave » Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:32 pm

Billy bike refers to the Panhead chop ridden by Dennis Hopper in the Easy Rider movie. Hopper's character's name was Billy. Peter Fonda's character was named Wyatt and his bike was called Captain America.
Great soundtrack!

53rigidrider

Post by 53rigidrider » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:03 pm

I've always thought a chopper was defined by minimal stuff to operate, rigid frame, 21" front wheel, no front brake, red or black paint, modified pipes, carb, and a sissybar.

I guess it all depends on where you grew up.
;)

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:48 am

53Rigidrider posted:
I guess it all depends on where you grew up.
Not where, but when.

Bobbers originated well before WWII.
Chops (meaning a chopped or cut frame) didn't surface until the last half of the '60s.

I first heard (or read) the term "digger" in the '80s, and it refered to drag racers, but soon was applied to radical streetmachines with low-slung chassis.

As long as you build it yourself, you can call it anything you want, but geezers who were there when it happened will snicker if you do not honor history.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”