Choppers functionable

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panomania

Choppers functionable

Post by panomania » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:41 pm

I realize a chopper needs to be somewhat functionable, but why dont people (bikers especially) realize that a chopper isnt built to be comfy, its built to be cool. Thats my reason anyway. So what you cant corner fast, or, hurt all over when hitting a pot hole in the road. The bottom of your bike is dragging on everything, the blood leaves your hands after holding on to the bars for awile. I guess this is where the saying ( if i had to explain) would apply. I guess im on a soapbox here, but im tired of my buddies always asking, Why, Why, Why? They probably never saw easyriders either.

haggis

Re: Choppers functionable

Post by haggis » Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:38 am

HA! Pano'
A true brother....who cares if it hurts like hell. even with a back belt...sometimes I swear I even pee blood .
Best thing is watching some one else try to ride it and see them wobbling all over the place!!!!
Its your baby and makes you feel like a million bucks...the best drug in the world/ Happy new year Pano.. roll on spring ! Haggis

53rigidrider

Post by 53rigidrider » Sat Dec 25, 2004 9:38 pm

My mom bought me a tee shirt that says, "You never see a Harley parked in front of a psychiatrist's office"

Kind of explains the 'tude...........

Interested

Post by Interested » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:47 am

There are a lot of ladies that LOVE them high-heeled spike shoes. They'll complain that they're as uncomfortable as hell -- and that they can't run or even walk too far with em on. But DAMN does it make them ladies look cool... I certainly wouldn't tell them they're nuts to wear them. I just tell them how cool they look.

Now -- there are a lot of bikers that LOVE to ride those chopped motorcycles.....

:)

zedheadmc

Post by zedheadmc » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:06 am

Hope I don't get to beat up about this reply so here it is. I don't care about no Easyriders or cool. I ride what I ride because I like to ride it. Not comfortable? I owned and rode rigid Trumps, 650 Yama's, and a Shovel. I would ride'm all day long with no pain. I would watch where I was riding and avoid most of the holes and other obstacles. Don't get me wrong I do own and ride a bike that has shocks (once in a while :)) and it does lean a little better in the Black Hills. Thats just me.

junker

Post by junker » Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:43 am

the only thing i hate about it is now that im older when i get off.and it takes me a little time to get moving again.mabe i need to sell out and buy a goldwing.

55FL

Post by 55FL » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:57 am

I went through an evolution of my personal bike style. In the 70's it was rigid frame with the downtubes stretched 6'' to accomodate a 20" over girder, mechanical rear brake and a "legal only" frontbrake. Looked awesome, road pretty good, handled like crap. From there in 1979 I went to a swingarm frame raked 1/2" with 8" dual disc narrow glide and rear disc. Hated it. Went to the way it is today in 1981, stock 56 frame, stock springer with stock brake ( works surprisingly well ! ) and disc rear, jockey shift and 18" apes. Shoulder, neck and spinal column issues have led me to go to lower apes, 12". ( I'm looking long and hard at Fast Eddie's set up ! )

She's mine, she's comfortable and extremely rideable.

She goes and stops as good as any and better than most.

My definition of functionable.

John

Just Cool!

panoply

Post by panoply » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:23 pm

Well, it came time for another project. Afterall it was Christmas and I strongly doubted my wife was taking my list seriously (Any Flat or Knuck)...We found a pan chopper that needs a lot of work that was in our price range. Picked it up and can't get it off my mind. Gotta say, we are building it for the cool (or bad ass) factor not for a comfy ride.

panomania

Post by panomania » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:06 pm

congrats and amen brother

haggis

Post by haggis » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:58 am

Panoply, alright...make it your own and enjoy the hell out of it ;) Haggis

flathead45

Post by flathead45 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:10 am

panopaly , I spose that means pike nut seat mounts , right

panoply

Post by panoply » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:27 am

Not the studded dog color type, rather a low rider peeking over the gas tank. We'll see how this window rattler takes form.

toolscum

Post by toolscum » Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:25 pm

They can be both! 5" seat springs on my rigid, dual discs on the wide glide, 5 gallon fat bobs, mousetrap, 6" mini-apes. Comfortable, stops well, 150 miles before reserve, foot shift for convenience and the trap looks good, bars just below my shoulders. Looks cool, rides well. If I really need comfort I get on my Kawasaki Voyager and listen to the stereo!

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”