Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Cleaning aluminium

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
haggis

Cleaning aluminium

Post by haggis » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:56 am

Picked up a 95 F150 XLT yesterday from an old widow(honest) whose husband had been a trucker...the things ALL tricked out running boards, air horns ,moon roof two tone Black and Silver grey and the Mac, bulldog mascot on the hood!!! 118,500 highway miles NO RUST!!!
Runs strong ( V-8),,,,$4000,,,not bad !
Anyway..top lip of bed has an aluminum cover all the way around. this has a lot of oxide...first I thought it was grey paint...can scratch it with a finger nail and its bright under it...whats the easiest way to get this off? or am I going to be out there all day with steel wool and a can of Mothers!Haggis
Ps Purple Bastard looks good in the back!

Billy

Re: Cleaning aluminium

Post by Billy » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:18 am

Haggis, congrats on your new "Harley Hauler" sounds good, even though it's a Ford. [kidding] :)
I use a 10" Buff wheel for my drill, & chaulk it w/Aluminum polishing brick. Using a mask to NOT breathe the crap.. You can also use a micro-finishing liquid polishing compound, & let the drill do the work. It's gonna turn the buff wheel black quickly, but just keep going. It shouldn't take too long. Then wipe all the black off & if satisfied w/finish. Wax it to help prevent re-oxidation. If not wash the buff wheel thoroughly & after dry, day at least later, repeat the process. Polishing can produce beautiful results that anyone can do, with the right products...

Steel wool will remove it, & it will scratch the shit out of the finish.

haggis

Post by haggis » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:15 am

Billy , realized what I thought was oxide is really dried up clear coat...too late about the steel wool...I've already started!! Still its 000 and should buff out fine.
What removes the clearcoat chemical wise? JHaggis
PS You on Vacation somewhere? or just forgot your password

Billy

Post by Billy » Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:06 am

Hi Haggis, Clear-coat, huh. I'd try Lacquer Thinner
That shit eats most any hard to clean stuff.
Are you gonna name your truck? How about the "Purple Bastard Hauler" ?? [kidding] I always liked the Mack bull-dogs, being a X-Pedal to metal gear-slammer, in my youth..
Sounds like you scored a pretty nice truck..
A guy needs his truck!!!

dj

Post by dj » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:24 pm

Haggis, it sounds like a lot of truck! I don't have anything against Fords. It's imports that concern me. *thumbs up*.
The current version of the Turbo Hydra-Matic 400 transmission design is the THM-4L80E. I know. I build them. I hired in on the THM-400 torque converter line in '77 and now I hob and shave the pinion gears for the overdrive planetary pinion set in the 4L80E. The guts of this transmission is exactly the same as the ol' THM-400, (built with many of the same friggin machines) except for a "modern" electronically actuated valve body and a few other "refinements" (like overdrive). One of my machines is 50+ years old, and definitely cut it's share of THM-400 pinion gears.
I understand someplace in South America still builds the THM-400 and you can still get them here in the states.
Aye! But I bet they ain't the same!

Billy

Post by Billy » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:01 am

DJ, that's pretty cool that you build them Trannys..
This motor & tranny are from the 70's era.
As far as Shit & git, It was more like: lift off throttle or burn off the rear tires completely ;D, All the nose weight & p/up has no real tail weight. & the gearing was in the 2:80's, so I could "lope" around town almost not touching the gas. It was a cool project & a Blaster. ;D Also fun at the car shows, since most people just throw in a crate small block. First thoughts were for an ol 392" Hemi. ;D But I'm a chevy guy...

dj

Post by dj » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:12 pm

There used to be a thick ring iron magnet glued to the bottom of the pan in all of the THM-400 tranny's to collect shavings. Somewhere along the line when the thinner, lighter, cheaper vinyl ones became available, some sweet lady in the assembly room suggested that they try them, and she got a maximum suggestion award of $20, 000!
Now you know.
Sheesh, we use the damn things to hang up newspapers on our machines. The old iron rings worked better.

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:45 am

That's a trip. lil ol lady huh? :o
They probably save a bundle using the cheaper one. No Doubt.
Man, that would have been a nice in your pocket, I'm thinking..
I'd be real happy w/it went in mine. But I don't work there.
At this point, I'm positive we Hi-jacked Haggis' thread.
Sorry Haggis. got carried away..

dj

Post by dj » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:08 pm

Yeah sorry Haggis. My bad.
Good luck with the new truck.

haggis

Post by haggis » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:31 pm

Billy and DJ... no problem guys, was enjoying your conversations anyway! :)
Billy...love that old Studebaker..looks hot ...love the colour!!
I'll be trying the paint thiner sometime this week...also took some pics today with the Purple Bastard in the back....just to see if she fit!!..will post them soon !Haggis

PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL custom
58 FL
76 FLH All Original

Post by PanPal » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:08 pm

I was going to suggest Brake fluid also. I'm not sure how you would go about clean up afterwards, but that will take it down to the metal. I recently raplaced the sight glasses on my V65 master cylinder. They were seaping and my right hand side of my tank has no paint left were the fluid was dripping on it. I would use the Laquer thinner first, but brake fluid will take the paint right off.

suicideshovel65

Post by suicideshovel65 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:51 pm

I would be hesitant to do anything like that with brake fluid - that substance is evil and I want as little to do with it as possible - especially where there is a chance it will get onto skin and paint and other surfaces dear to our hearts. Not to mention where the stuff goes after you wash it off with water - ie into your lawn or onto your driveway where your kids might play.

Cheers,

(a slightly green) S.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”