Fine vs. coarse threaded bolts--when used

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
ArizonaMike

Fine vs. coarse threaded bolts--when used

Post by ArizonaMike » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:24 pm

Hello,

Since many of us have bolted on various parts and lost original bolts in reassembling our bikes, I was wondering: when do we use fine and when do we use coarse threaded bolts? Possibly a machinist or engineer here could answer. Thanks in advance for any help.

fourthgear

Re: Fine vs. coarse threaded bolts--when used

Post by fourthgear » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:45 pm

Hi
I'm not a machinest , but I use fine threaded where ever possible ( which is whats on our old scoots ) they have better holding power because of more threads per inch. I use thread locker on all fasteners including nylocs!
Just my opinion and we know how that goes. good luck.

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:01 am

hello,
lock tight, a pans best friend, did this to all most all the hard ware many years ago. and they have held up fine. on the ones I did not do the first time. they have since been done . and nylocks work great also.
As for the threads. I think that fine in steel is good, but in alum. course will have more thread strength, due to the pitch being farther apart, ie... more meat in between pitches of thread. exsample use 10-24 for alum 10-32 for steel
mbskeam

go to the hard ware store and ask for 1/4-24 and see what you get for a answer ;)

Billy

Post by Billy » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:30 am

Yes Harleys & Loc-Tite go well together. & done properly stay together.

Done properly= no oil/grime on threads. ;)

Sidecar

Post by Sidecar » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:37 pm

There are too many variables !!!!
Soft mat'l coarse threads ?
Hard material fine threads ??
Little stuff too small for coarse threads ??
Big stuff needs coarse threads for more holding power ?
I have had problems with fine threads on large nut/bolts in jerking/pulling/shaking applications. Seems that the threads get boogered up and you can't get the nut off and on again.

Loc-tite way too expensive. Clear nail polish much cheaper. Been using it for 30 years without any problems. I have converted a lot of others also.

BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:19 pm

Another thing to consider, torque on coarse and fine fasteners acts differently. A coarse bolt overtorqued will usually break (many coarse fasteners are grade 2). A fine thread fastener overtorqued will strip the threads. (usually higher tensile strength, grade 5 or above makes the thread surfaces the weak point) FWIW, when in doubt, I use fine thread, torqued carefully with the proper lockwashers, and lock-tite or I use nyloc nuts. Vibrations seem to have more effect on coarse threads.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”