Gas resistant clearcoat

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
haggis

Gas resistant clearcoat

Post by haggis » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:12 pm

Anyone know of a clear coat(short of a professional 2 part) that's more gas resistant than the dura-color DE1636 Ceramic rattle can?
Just gave the frame another 3 coats...(couldn't resist) and would like to give the tank as much protection as possible. Thanks Haggis.

hd74

Re: Gas resistant clearcoat

Post by hd74 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:43 am

Haggis: The best clear coat that I have used for more than twenty years is a product called Dupont Imron. It is a two part paint and originally was used to coat 747 jets. You need a good spray booth and a full breather mask.

VintageTwin
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:37 pm

You can use an oilless diaphram compressor, a 12" piece of 2" dia. galvanized pipe with caps screwed on both ends and a quik-connect at each cap end for the air inlet and outlet, and connect the outlet to a cheap single-stage diving regulator (Daycor®). Make a back pack out of wood, anything...strap this pipe to your back-pack and you can breathe good air. Then buy a cheap-o diving mask that covers your nose. Buy a (sock) head protector from the paint supplier, cover you arms and all exposed skin, wear cotton gloves and start flailing paint. You don't want to breathe any isocyanates, and you can't make a gas proof finish without two stage paint.

haggis

Post by haggis » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:23 am

hi hd74 and vintage twin,
Thanks for the reply dudes, sounds like the the easiest way is to get the tank sprayed at a paint shop...where the guys lungs are already shot!
Just hope the clear coat will be compatable with my lacquer paint job....will be pissed if I have to do it over.
Thanks ,Haggis.

hd74

Post by hd74 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:48 pm

Haggis:
Imron is fairly easy to use. You can build up with lacquers and finish with the Imron. I have sprayed candies and pearls which are for the most part lacquer based and then spray a sanding coat of Imron. Water sand and spray the final luster. Depending on the detail underneath (flames etc) you will be ready to go for years. I have one bike that I painted coming up twenty one years still looks very presentable. Vintage twin is right, do not spray two part paint without a breather and good ventilation. Imron for instance gives off gases even after you have sprayed, so you should always protect your skin and lungs when you mix and spray. And have a fan that you can set to kick on and off even so often.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”