Genuine Panhead

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Sausage

Genuine Panhead

Post by Sausage » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:07 pm

Hello:

I had first become a member of this great site two years ago with the objective of retroing a modern Softail into a Panhead clone. No more. I am going for a genuine Panhead. I want a year that was offered with:

1) Signal Lights
2) Juice Drum Brakes
3) Black "Comet Kidney Saddlebags"
4) Foot Shift
5) High Compression "Super Sport" package
6) Unaltered/Chopped frame

I recently found and purchased very rare color information. A full 1/2 pint of a genuine Harley-Davidson part numbered color called "Tropical Coral". Believed to be a 1958 specific custom color option. The local HD dealers had told us no such color existed. Now armed with this infromation HD color shop said they will paint me a set of Panhead sheet metal.
Of concern is wheather or not HD "Introduced" this mysterious color in 1958 and also offered it in subsequant years AFTER 1958 or 1958 only? My above mentioned 6 criteria takes me past a 1958 model.
To the best of your knowledge were Panhead custom colors a single year offering or could a rider be able to select a earlier year custom color when ordering a later model Panhead back then?

Respectfully. Sausage

Jonderson

Re: Genuine Panhead

Post by Jonderson » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:05 am

Sausage, the guy I would talk with for any paint questions is Lonnie at http://www.antiquecyclesupply.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I am sure he could answer your questions, and almost assuredly put you on to more "Tropical Coral" if that is what you are going with.
I believe that Tropical Coral is a 1958 color, but was used for the Hummers and 125s, etc. Don't know if it was available for the Pan as custom, but Lonnie will know for sure.

Sausage

Post by Sausage » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:05 pm

Jonderson:

Good Lord!
Thank you kindly on your input.
I certainly hope the color "Tropical Coral" was offered on the Panhead! If not, this would be a devastating setback to me. I will call Lonnie tomarrow AM.
Have you yourself seen Tropical Coral in either in the flesh or pics?

Thank you again

Jonderson

Post by Jonderson » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:12 am

Yes, I have seen it. It is a lighter shade of red which at once inspires nostalgia. It would look very good on a stock(ish) Pan I think, whether it was accurate or not.

dereborn
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:04 am

Here's a site with lotsa info on Harley colors and paint schemes: http://www.gis.net/~schmoo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The "tropical coral" is listed under 1958 colors, didn't have the time to check it any deeper than that!
Good luck! And I'm glad to hear you abandoned the softail for the real deal!

Sausage

Post by Sausage » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:05 am

Thanks guys for your input and inspiration:
I just spoke with Lonnie today at AntiqueCycleSupply.
Lonnie researched the color "Tropical Coral" and found it listed as a 1958 custom color optional used on the Hummer. He "Speculated" that the aforementioned "Tropical Coral" would have been offered on the 1958 Panhead.......
I have Emailed two other websites and will call gris.net per his east coast hours tonight.
Please Stand By for further findings.

Regarding a FLH Duo-Glide Restoration purchase:
Which is the more sought after collectable: Foot Shift or Tank Hand Shift?

Thank You again.

shaker

Post by shaker » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:04 pm

I like the tank shift better myself , may take you awhile to get used to it , but if the rocker clutch , and the shifter are in good shape, there no prob at all. I am talking about stock, hand shift not suicide where the clutch is spring loaded like a car! Shaker

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:54 am

Even my wife thinks that anyone with the dampener tightened on the foot clutch is a pussy. She rides hers with it totally free-wheeling, and so do most all of my customers after they feel the difference. (Yeah, one or two pussys for customers..they will grow out of it.)
It ain't no revelation to those of us who learned to footclutch from an earlier generation who had no other option.
The dampener is like training wheels ; eventually you realize its just in the way.
And if you depend upon the dampener while sitting at an intersection,... that's the true meaning of suicidal!

shaker

Post by shaker » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:05 pm

Yea, I guess if all your going to do is dress up like james Dean and circle the block time or to and go home free wheeling would be ok. Shaker

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:45 pm

stock rocker clutch setup works good. try riding around Seattle,in the land of the driving MORONS!!!on 4 wheels Surprised .Suicideclutch is not the way for extreme traffic. Reguards MB

suicideshovel65

Post by suicideshovel65 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:05 am

Agreed with MB - I rode with a suicide clutch setup in Tokyo for over a year, but have gone back to handclutch.
If you're lane-splitting or carrying a pillion in traffic a lot (particularly on chewed-up roads) then a suicide setup is aptly named...
I do love a hand shift setup, but it's better on country roads.
Cheers,

S.

kell

Post by kell » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:51 pm

I'm running a suicide clutch with hand shifter tranny top right now. On the next warm day I plan to re-install the mousetrap eliminator (while keeping the foot clutch), so it will be like the "attempted suicide" bike a couple of issues ago in the Horse, but with a different configuration. I'll have both cables connected to the rod on top of the tranny.
So I'll have an option in certain difficult situations: shift into first, then grab the hand clutch. Freeing both feet for balance. Will be able to ride the clutch in traffic jams or inch my way around pedestrians at a corner crossing, etc.

shaker

Post by shaker » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:47 pm

The rocker is a great system in heavy traffic, I guess thats why the cop's stayed with it so long, mine has always stayed back , but I would agree with cotten , I don't think I would lock it back and take my foot off the pedal without having the trans, in netural. Shaker

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”