Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Junk new parts

Post by panwars » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:08 pm

Author: panwars

Damn I am so mad I could insert these parts into some one! Where in hell does one find a GOOD new rear drum and sprocket ass'y? I got one from J&P and it was junk, (out of round out of true) I had them overnight two more and one was worse one the same. My chain goes from tight to falling off loose. I have been fighting this mess for weeks trying to fit a new trans, accomplished that and now this. I beleive they get this from Tedds, Vtwin, same price etc. What other choices do I have? My old one is shot,sprocket falling of and also very out of round. HELP!!!! PLEASE!!!!! Somebody somewhere is going to end up with a funny walk when I get to them and return these drums.....

Post by billy

panwars, Stop the fight........There is hope.
Try http://www.nosparts.com for the U.S. & http://www.jwboon.com for the Euro market, You can get NOS parts or quality aftermarket.. ;D
You need your OEM part numbers to search for your needs... Their parts fit & work.
I buy a lot thru them, A1.... "No Complaints"

Post by Jack Hester

Panwars -

Do you have your OEM number handy, for the brake drum? I'll do a little checking around these parts of the country. If I can't find new, I may be able to find a good used one. I will need to know the year drum to look for.

Jack

P.S. - Mike @ MC Motorworks says that he has a good used one, that you will need to rivet a sprocket to, if you want it. Your profile says that you have a 49 frame. If your wheel is of the same vintage, drop him a note at:

100scoot@charter.net

He can fix you right up.

Post by panwars

Thanks guys, that is some great info, I am hoping to find NOS but good (true) used would work, as I have a new sprocket and rivets. Thanks again, Scott

joe
Bikes: 1947 Indian Chief
1956 Harley FLH
1985 Harley FLH Shovelhead

Re: Junk new parts

Post by joe » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:16 am

I know this is an old post but I am having the same issue. My drum or sprocket or both is so out of round that my chain goes from way too tight to way too loose (everything is new). Is there a way to adjust for this or is the fix just to find a good quality drum and sprocket?

Thanks,

Joe

58flh
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:27 pm

I feel your pain panwars!. I to ordered a rear-drum for mine & everything looked o.k.-until you start mikin things. overall I got lucky I just had to face-off the drum in my lathe .012 & it cleaned-up & true. As far as finding good chainwheels----there aint any that I know of. Alot of these companys just let the machines run & you have some inexpierienced joker with a go-nogo guage checking every 100 or more parts that drop-off ready for shipment. To get a good set of cogs nowadays in my opinion is to custom machine the cogs (cnc)-of course & that costs a ton of green!. Check the site im sure someone will know of a place to get decent sprockets for your sled!---Good-Luck 58flh

ozwick86
Bikes: '59 Pan FLHF

Post by ozwick86 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:11 am

Joe,

I bought mine from Paughco. The first one I had to send back as the hub depth was not correct. I got on the phone with one of the fellows and we discussed the issue. They sent me another one after checking it. No problems.

http://www.paughco.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”