Just a story

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Just a story

Post by panfreak » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:56 am

My story starts when I was about 10. I had a cousin who was a bit of a rebel and rode a chopped harley, this would have been in the early seventies. I used to chase after him, I thought he was cool, he smoked and had his hair greased back, I wanted to be just like him. I had other family involved with bikes, but I always seemed to spend my money on other things. Then a wife and kids came along and anyone raising a family knows what that can be like. I always wanted a harley though. About 7 years ago I came across a basket case for 3500$. I sold everything I could think of and took what else I needed from savings to buy it. Man did my old lady freak out. I started collecting parts and learning from books, websites, wherever I could. I became a welder, fabricator, painter, mechanic, whatever it took, I did it. I sacrificed partying, clothes, fast cars everything I had to to save even 20$ toward things I needed. People said I'd never do it. My wife yelled at me more times than I care about my bike. my friends bitched that I wasn't partying with them because I had no money. But I had a friend who is 60, he runs a small harley shop in town. he understood and didn't blow me off like most bikers. he let me learn by some mistakes, and he let me listen to what they were doing down there. He taught me alot. He even let me bring it in and do all the final assembly at his place so he could watch and tell me what I didn't know. we finally started it together a couple weeks ago. It was like the birth of my kids. I can't believe how excited I was. We both shook hands and laughed, it was great. he told me later that this was what it's all about. Maybe a couple of you will understand what it's like to go through hell for something you've wanted your whole life. I almost quit a few times. I'm glad I didn't.
To my cousin Johnny, wherever you are, thanks, I hope you would be proud.
Thanks for listening to my story, I have no one interested in hearing it anyway. If you want to see a picture, it's the black and white '58 in the pics gallery.

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Re: Just a story

Post by Jack_Hester » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Panfreak -

I think it is a fine story. I'm glad that you put it down in print, as good stories are lost because they are not written. The only similarity that I have to the story is that there were 3 old shops that were 30 - 40 minutes drive from my home, when I was a teenager (back in the 60's). All had been Harley dealers at one time. Times had changed, by the time I was driving, and found them. They were just old bike shops, making ends meet. Those were my weekly hangouts, for several years. Learning and listening, with lots of hands-on. They are all gone, as well as the old shop buildings. I would love to have each one of those old shops, in place of anything you find these days. I got the right training, and wished that I could remember everything that they talked about. Now, I have my shop. Looks nothing like theirs. Nowhere near as cozy. I don't have kids, and the wife's only son is 30, lives in another town, and has no interest whatsoever. I'm in my 50's and doing it all by myself. I'm glad you got the chance to take advantage of an old builder. Thanks for sharing.

Jack

dj

Post by dj » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:34 pm

This story places you in a class well away from the guy who would plunk down 20k+ for a brand new one, and knows absolutely nothing about it except to take it back to the dealer for scheduled maintenence.
You are a man of great patience. And now....just look at it.... A fantastic machine (btw)!, that you know and understand. That's what owning a vintage machine is all about. She's your baby!
I love telling HOG members and their kind.....
"Well boys, I couldn't afford a new one." ;D
Great story. Great bike!

Dave

wheels

Post by wheels » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:08 pm

WHAT A GREAT STORY!

57Kicker

Post by 57Kicker » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:21 am

Panfreak Very nice story
I could tell that came from the heart. It has soul. Something the store boughts will never have for 30 or 40 years.

cheers!

57pan

Post by 57pan » Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:51 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. What you said about it being like the birth of your kids is really true. You bought a bunch of pieces and parts but now you have something that is almost alive - it has its own personality and quirks. The more you live with it the better you will get to know it.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”