Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

New bike - major decisions

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Larry49EL

New bike - major decisions

Post by Larry49EL » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:17 pm

Need some help from the experts?...I finally had my new (49EL) delivered and I am face with a BIG decision: after inspecting the bike and looking things over, I have found that the frame is a 37-38 Knucklehead (used Palmers book). As expected the seat tube has been modified to accept the pan, but otherwise the frame looks nice (it has been "smoothed" at most of the welds). There is not tool box mount, but the front loops, brake tube, motor and tank mounts are not modified. SO...should I just use this frame or sell it and buy an aftermarket frame for my ride? This will be a modified bike and not a restoration (too far removed). Any thoughts? And also, should I convert to front discs using a newer FL front end (fatboy or such)? Thanks!

Larry

panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: New bike - major decisions

Post by panhead » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:30 pm

As you will be using it as a modified bike I would keep the bike as it is. Why should you buy a new frame?

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:29 am

hello,
well you could look at the swap meets and find a 49 frame, then fix the knuck frame and sell it for a profit to buy more parts. The other option is to get a paugco frame or something like it, again sell the old one to get the parts you need and still not spend that much doe. Or ride the hell out of it and enjoy. The quest never ends.

mbskeam

Billy

Post by Billy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:18 am

Larry-
I think the 'experts' went home for the night.. But I'll throw in my 2 cents.. ;)
I agree w/Panhead, ride it!!!
But, I will add, put on the Disc brake/s !!
First emergency stop you have to make, you will have a new appreciation for them.

And don't sweat the small sxxx !! Enjoy the journey. ;)

kell

Post by kell » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:31 am

I have discs front and back on my '52 FL. If you convert the rear wheel it means you can change rear sprocket size for better highway riding. Convenient. I find it doesn't take away from the look of the bike, it's kind of lean and mean.

CknDnr
Bikes: 1959 Bastard FLH
1989 FLHTC

Post by CknDnr » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:36 am

Got to agree about the disc brakes front and rear if it is a daily rider. I run a 13" disc with PM caliper on the rear and dual 10" stock narrowglide front.

caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:56 am

Yeah... comparing disc brakes to an EVO motor is a bit extreme. Let's not get carried away here. ;) But then I'll also say I do like my mechanical drums. I'll concede that discs stop better. But I'm willing give a little more space between me and other traffic for the look I want. Now, emergencies... that's something you can never predict. I've had to clamp down pretty hard a few times and those are the times I wished I was running discs. But so far so good.

Larry49EL

Post by Larry49EL » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:43 am

Thanks to everyone for the advice...I really appreciate the feedback. I am in the process of tearing the bike down because the guy who sold it to me was a ...well let's just say he was a little less than honest regarding the condition...my mistake. Good news is there is a whole bike there (rideable, but not very safe or dependable). Anyway, I found that the frame is a fairly unaltered 38 Knuckle. Only "major" thing wrong is the seat post tube. Even the head forging is untouched (under an old smoothy job). So, I'm going to have some fun rebuilding...and then riding...and then rebuilding...and riding....etc. What I find with this bike as I disassemble is how "sexy" (?) each piece is. This is way better than my 2004 Springer I sold as far as that goes. Oh well I'm sure the questions will start coming as I plan my rebuild and reassembly (I took a ton of pics as I broke it down...hopefully that will help)

Larry

mbskeam

Post by mbskeam » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:53 am

hello,
yep.... you gotta love those barn yard MecInecsS. :o

mbskeam

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”