Painting tips

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
47Flathead

Painting tips

Post by 47Flathead » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:20 am

I saw a bike the other day that the guy said he painted with a spray can. (color&clear). And it looked realy good. I was wondering what tips someone might haveabout painting myself. I have a hvlp sprayer that i use for varnish. What paint works well for a first timer ( most forgiving).

fourthgear

Re: Painting tips

Post by fourthgear » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:26 pm

I am certainly no expert, but I recently painted my 57 using the basic techniques described in this article: http://www.chuckhawks.com/harley_paintin.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The thing I like about lacquer is that it is almost impossible to get runs because it dries so fast. Even a non-professional painter like me can get very acceptable results if you are willing to put the time into it. The problem with lacquer, though, is that it is brittle and chips easily. I'm thinking of putting a modern eurethane clear coat on over the lacquer now that it has had time to cure.

panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:02 pm

Hey Flathead,
I recently finished my first paint job after reading through Dave's recommended website and a few other do-it-yourself types. I went with PPG base/ clear though, it was very forgiving for a first timer, and with lotsa clear, I wet sanded and polished a few spots where the clear went on a little "dry". My advice would be to give it a shot. If you've already got a gun, why not? Anyone with the patience and passion to wrench on their own bikes can learn to paint, just apply yourself to making a good effort. Be very clean. I made a temporary paint booth. There's A LOT to be said about doing things yourself, ya I would do some things differently if I did it again, but I'm damn glad I tried.

47Flathead

Post by 47Flathead » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:31 am

Thanks 57 & freak
I Read the info posted great stuff, I like doing things myself and the info you mentioned helps alot. I'am going paint shopping this week thank you.

Michael

Jack_Hester
Ex-member

Post by Jack_Hester » Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:07 pm

57Pan -

Thanks for posting the link. I'll be painting my WLA this Fall, and will follow his lead. I may even get a wild hair and paint my 59 FLH, even though it's had it's cracked K-Mart rattle can paint job since 1974. Good info.

Jack

Kurt
Bikes: 1942 U
1942 WLA
1995 Ultra
2008 Ultra

Post by Kurt » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:04 pm

If you're in the States, one of the most forgiving quality paints is Dupont's Chromabase, especially if you're painting silvers, gold’s or any metallic. It goes on and does not tiger stripe at all. (If it does, get a better gun) I did and do all of my customs (autos & bikes) with it. You must use the entire system though because it's made to work together. The base coat does not dry.
If you're doing multiple colors, you will need to apply a light/dry coat of clear, let dry then mask. For this I used a fast reducer and could mask for the next color within 2 to 4 hours.
House of Colors has really come a long way with the way their specialty paints apply. They apply the same way as Chromabase and the colors are incredible. Growing up in a body shop, I had to learn how to spray candy colors, very hard and very time consuming. The new stuff they have is a breeze to use.

Good luck

Kurt

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”