Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

Panvolution

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
bibs

Panvolution

Post by bibs » Wed May 03, 2006 10:30 pm

I have only on one occasion ever seen a pan motor(bottom half anyway) and an EVO top end. Well STD has the heads and I got a little info on this set-up; the cylinders have to have the fire ring removed and you have to use 1/8" stroker plate so the pistons dont go to far up in the heads.You also have to use evo lifter blocks and lifters,evo push rods and push rod tubes and the heads are all evo....other than that I'm thinking this set-up oughta yeild an easy hp. per cubic inch at the back wheel
Has anyone ever seen or heard about this set-up? I think you'd have to cut the frame unless it's an aftermarket frame made for evos or shovels.
I'm really curious about this!!!!

haggis

Re: Panvolution

Post by haggis » Thu May 04, 2006 2:39 am

Bibs!
........................ :o.......................
I'm going to the pub!...........................Haggis.

Kuda

Post by Kuda » Thu May 04, 2006 12:25 pm

"....other than that I'm thinking this set-up oughta yeild an easy hp. per cubic inch at the back wheel"

It might...but then again, evo heads with an evo bottom end will give you even *more*. Or twin cam heads on an evo bottom end can put you well into the triple digits...

But the better question is...WHY would you do it? What does just a pan bottom end give you? I think you'd get almost the same results with a well prepped set of STD panheads, and you'd still have a panhead (mostly). <shrug> To each his own, of course, and this IS the modified pan section, but when you lose the pan *heads*...is it even still a panhead? ;D

-Kuda (I'm with Haggis on this one...)
'49 FL

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Thu May 04, 2006 2:52 pm

Why not just buy an S&S generator Shovel / Evo 79" cross breed motor?
VPH-D

bibs

Post by bibs » Fri May 05, 2006 12:32 am

Yeah....I wouldnt have a pan anymore!!!! BUT the numbers on the cases match the title,so.....I just think it would be a trick set-up,I'm sure not commiting to doin it right about now....um just a little frustrated over my mis-alignment problem with the intake to the heads situation.
Hopefully I'll have it corrected just as soon as I can get time to operate on the old girl....few days or so.

Billy

Post by Billy » Fri May 05, 2006 4:01 am

"BUT the numbers on the cases match the title,so..... "
Well, that should be more incentive to NOT molest clean # cases.
They are getting a bit more rare..

Go aftermarket, & do yer thing..

(just my 2 cents) the decision is of course yours

vintagehd

Post by vintagehd » Fri May 05, 2006 1:33 pm

That would be like murder...maybe even on the verge of genocide!...leave the Pan alone...enjoy it for what IT is...a classic, not a freak sideshow attraction...my opinion...V.

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Fri May 05, 2006 2:14 pm

Once you change the heads, it's not a panhead anymore. Just like a pan / shovel or a "pan / evo." Many of the pan / shovels put together back in the 70s were done because the pan heads were cashed, some were also done for a cool look/performance issues. I once bought a wrecked shovel with the idea of using the top end, but never got around to it. I wouldn't do it today.
VPH-D

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”