Sizzling hot - fajitas

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
dereborn
Bikes: .

Sizzling hot - fajitas

Post by dereborn » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:56 pm

Gotta ask you guys... Was out ridin' today, 'bout an hour or so, nice and easy, no highways. When I got home and turned off the engine, I heard, among the usual "cool-down-ticking", a sound best described as "sizzling". I traced it to the panhead/valvecover gaskets, close to the exhaustst on both jugs. Here something was bubbling out.. like there was pressure behind it... It lasted for a minute or two, then faded out. Started it up again and let it idle for a minute or two, turned off again, and no more sizzling... What the heck was that?
Only clue I can get is that the weather has been reeeeally chilly and humid/raining the last week, when the ol' lady has been standing still. Can the gaskets have taken on water, which then boiled off when everything got hot?

Curious..

And btw - the ride was lovely!!

Cheers

Billy

Re: Sizzling hot - fajitas

Post by Billy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:49 pm

Dereborn,
Any internal combustion motor makes condensation inside, more so in the conditions you described. If a motor isn't run until full heat & at 'least' an extra 1 1/2 hrs. more or so, it doesn't have a chance to burn off all this internal condensation. This sounds like that's what you have experienced. It would be most noticable in the Tins at the exhaust ports, because the Highest heat would be there.
I think if you took her out & run her good, for about 2 hrs. & parked. You would have burned off this internal sweat.
Short rides are more prone to this. For the reasons explained. & that's why oil changes should be done more often when used in this type of service. This also contributes to sludge in the motor.
Also if you are using the 'thick cork' Pan top gaskets, I suppose in the rain they could absorb some rain, only to burn off later. I suppose..

dereborn
Bikes: .

Re: Sizzling hot - fajitas

Post by dereborn » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Yeah! So I wasn't on a wild goose chase then. Feels good to know. Just another reason to ride more and longer! Thanx.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”