Create your own blog: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17487

63 FLH

All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Dude

63 FLH

Post by Dude » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:33 am

My son picked up a 63 pan in a storage sale and gave it to me. It's been in a front end wreck but not to bad. I was reading that I should change it to 12 volts and put discs on the front. Can anyone tell me what parts I need to do this and where to find them. Don't have a lot of money since I'm retired but want to do it right. Not trying for a custom but do take pride in my rides.

King

Re: 63 FLH

Post by King » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:43 pm

Hey Dude
Congrats on your son I wish I had one that dropped an FLH on me!!.

The first thing I would do is get that front end checked out by someone who knows what he’s doing. You don’t want weird handling or wobbles at any speed.

Next for the 12V convert I would start with a Cycle Electric generator. Look at their site to see the options. Their products are first rate. Then you will need a battery that will fit in the old 6V Batt. space in the oil bag. There has been a lot of discussion about batteries on this site and hopefully preserved in the Knowledge Base. I would also replace your points system with an electronic unit (E-Beyond, 45Parts Depot). Then install a 3 OHM or less 12V coil, halogen headlight, and all the rest of the bulbs. Cost for all around $500.

The front disk brake is a bit more problematical. The best conversion I know of was posted here a couple of years ago and should be in the Knowledge Base. It uses a Harley caliper and disk and will allow you to keep the stock star hub wheel . The downside is it requires machined parts that are not available on the market. All in cost I would estimate at $500-$700.

Best of luck on your project, keep us posted on the progress, and we look forward to another Pan on the road.

King

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:59 pm

If the machine is stock-ish, consider leaving the electrics and brakes alone. 63 is the most rare of all Panheads.
VPH-D

kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:23 am

I have a 64 and the brakes work pretty well for drum style older technology. My 6 volt system may not operate the lights quite as bright as 12 volts but it kick starts very easy (largely this is due to tuning, maintenance, condition of motor/carb, etc.); except when there is a crowd watching! I've toyed around with a 12 volt conversion to put the aftermarket starter in place but that's only b/c I've reached mid 40's and low back and neck/shoulder pain seems to nag longer than before. I like these stock items and their functionality.

The other motivator for me is all the $ it will take for parts to do these conversions.

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:36 am

Dude, if you are able, post a couple pics,that way we can see what you are dealing with. One picture=thousand words....Mike

63 KCPD

Post by 63 KCPD » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:02 pm

VPH-D:
I have a 63 FL Police Special. What makes you say that the 1963 is the most rare of all the Panheads?

Thanks...Dale

VT

Post by VT » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Leave it 6 volt, imo. Highly reliable and the batteries are available from H-D. When and if it comes down to selling it, having every single piece as originally designed is a smart investment.
12V conversions have bugga-boos.
I see today that V-Twin has a new 12 volt generator (32-0967). It lists for about $195.00 and looks pretty good, but still it's not stock for your year (first year of the outside overhead oiler).
http://www.vtwinmfg.com/NewVtwinWeb/NewProducts2.jsp
Keep your brakes stock. They work fine because they were engineered for all 74" Pans from 1949-1965. If there was a stopping problem as late as 1963 Harley would have changed the design.

VPH-D

Post by VPH-D » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Have a look at 'The Legend Begins' or 'The Harley Data Book'. Both of these books have lists of approximate production numbers. Panhead production numbers fell every year after 48. 1954 is the most rare of the rigids, and 63 for the swing arms.
VPH-D

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”