LittleAl
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Some interesting modifications

Post by LittleAl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:15 am

I don't know if anybody has done these things, but i thought I'd show you guys what I did to solve some minor problems.

First I never liked where I've seen the relay mounted. I have no idea where it was mounted originally, but I found this bracket and thought I'd give it a try. I like the way it worked out. It's made by a company called Midway, I bought it on ebay for $4.95 new in the package. Mounts right on the end of the generator
IMG_2365.jpg
and looks like this with the relay mounted
IMG_2366.jpg
from something I read I realized it'd be prudent to to have a positive stop for the rocker clutch pedal. I tried to figure out all kinds of things that would be solid, stable and adjustable. I finally came up with this idea. I drilled and tapped on a slight angle the pedal itself. then cut the head off a 1/4" by 2" bolt. put a locking nut on it and threaded it in from the bottom of the pedal. Then I cut it off flush with the top of the pedal once I had it adjusted right. I happened to have a rubber sleeve with a closed end from God only knows what and I siliconed that onto the bolt. what do you guys think? I can adjust it a bit and if worse comes to worse I can always recut a new bolt. I now have a positive stop for the pedal and it can't really be seen without getting down at eye level.
IMG_2373.jpg
IMG_2377.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: some interesting modifications?

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:36 am

Neat stuff Al,

Are you getting complete cluch disengagement with the rocker stopped that far off the floorboard?

I've always had a problem at the other end. My rocker will hang up on the floorboard in the engaged position, the stud and nut on the bottom of the rubber pad will catch and hook the inside edge of the floorbard and lock it in the engaged position. I've always wanted to do a little reverse engineering on the assembly to correct that, some kind of a positive stop would fix it.

mike

51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:48 am

I had the same problem that you had Mike.
My rocker was bent.
I bent it a little more. Now it goes to the inside of the floor board and does not hang up.
I think that the front part of the pedal was supposed to sit on the floor board if the stop bolt that goes through the lower hole below where the clutch rod hooks to it. The bolt limits travel in both directions--Front and Rear.
It uses the fixed mounting bracket as the stop for the bolt.
Dale

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:15 am

Dale,
That is my guess also, something is bent, or worn, or both. The rocker will hang up every time if I lean over from the right side of the bike and push it all the way into engagement with my hand. If I'm sitting on the bike and use my foot to rock it forward it does not hang up, the weight of my foot on the floorboard makes the difference. And I agree, I think the factory intended for the front of the rocker to rest completely on the floorboard when in fully engaged position.

I'm sure that Cotten will jump in here and give us all a lecture about how you should ALWAYS leave the clutch rocked forward and fully engaged when parking the bike. Sometimes I forget and I will reach over the bike and push the pedal forward with my hand, locks it up every time.

mike

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:44 am

mike, mine are OEM floorboards, AM rocker assembly and AM floorboard brackets. I don't know what you have but the way mine lined up no way could the rubber pedal nut catch on the floorboard, it's easy an inch into the floorboard from the inside edge of the floorboard. It might just be the way i have my rod and clutch itself adjusted but I have full disengage at that rear pedal height positively. even depressing it by hand before I put the stop on I felt like I could easy break something. Actually with my adjustments (maybe i did something wrong? I did cut & thread the linkage rod shorter by about 2 inches) it works well. even without the rod on with full swing on the rocker assembly I can spin it all the way in both directions and it doesn't even come close to hitting the floorboard, either the front (like in 51hog's pic) or the rear.

51hog, you mention a stop bolt, my AM rocker doesn't have one, think it's just missing or maybe just the usual crap AM stuff?

I'm really thinking now based on what you guys are saying that I have something wrong, either in parts or setup. when engaged my pedals are almost even distance off the floorboard, front slightly higher and in it's "natural" position & clutch engaged. If I "rock" the front pedal down it only lets the clutch arm move back about 1/2 inch then the rod starts pushing itself out of the slot on the arm, really serves no function to to push on the front pedal. On the other hand, when I push down on the rear pedal to disengage the clutch it does it cleanly and nicely but when I take my foot off it comes right back up and engages the clutch. In essence to keep the clutch disengaged I must keep my foot down on the rear pedal.

so what's wrong with what I've done???

51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:03 am

Look at the pic that I posted. You will see an unoccupied hole in the rocker just in front of the heal and just under where the clutch rod hooks to the pedal.
If you were to level out the rocker, that hole would be almost in the center of the Mounting bracket that the rocker is hinged on. The mounting bracket has edges that would act as a stop if the correct length bolt was inserted in that hole in the rocker.
The bolt and the edges of the bracket would limit the travel of the rocker and you would adjust the clutch and rod accordingly.
Dale

Kuda

Post by Kuda » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:21 pm

>If I "rock" the front pedal down it only lets the clutch arm move back about 1/2 inch then the rod starts pushing itself out of the slot on the arm, really serves no function to to push on the front pedal.

Correctly adjusted, the pedal should be ON the floorboard when fully engaged, with the rod leaving about 1/8" of a gap (loose) at the arm. I've always thought it's a good habit to occasionally push down on the front of the pedal to ensure that it's still fully engaged, and hasn't vibrated back up causing the clutch to slip slightly...

>On the other hand, when I push down on the rear pedal to disengage the clutch it does it cleanly and nicely but when I take my foot off it comes right back up and engages the clutch. In essence to keep the clutch disengaged I must keep my foot down on the rear pedal.

That's easy: just turn the big nut on the back of the friction disk another little bit until it will stay disengaged on its own, then add another little bit for safety's sake. But NEVER trust that friction disk with your life. They've been known to vibrate out and launch unsuspecting riders into busy intersections...

-Kuda
'49 panchop

Cotten

Post by Cotten » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:24 pm

My first '65 came with a stud in the bottom hole of the pedal as Dale mentioned.

A 5/16" 'circle F" bolt screws into the stud, which is just a simple piece of cad-plated 3/8" round stock. The rolled edges of the pedal bracket then limit the travel of the pedal so that it not only prevents the heel from hitting the footboard mat, the toe stays high enough off the mat when engaged for you to actually put your foot on the footboard.

The additional advantage of this is that when the pedal travel is limited, thus so is the sideways travel of the clutch basket.
It it basically the original "tamer", although certainly not as absolute.

With reference to the friction dampener: Even my wife thinks it is stupid to use it.
I consider it for off-road use only.
With the dampener released, if the clutch spring pack does not pull the pedal back into engagement by itself, then start over at the throwout screw and re-adjust the linkage to the pedal as per the Service Manual.

HTH,

....Cotten

LittleAl
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:25 am

Dale, I have no such piece behind there that a bolt of any length could stop against. the entire assembly is smooth and contoured back there, contoured towards the center of the bike. Upon closer examination of the whole assembly even the washer to help hold the friction is missing. I bought it off eBay, supposedly new, but not in the package. I took it all apart tonight and put it back together properly, I think. Now the pedal does hold in either position, not locked there, but hold. Once it's running maybe not but tightening the nut a little should help. I certainly have no intention of trusting it ever to hold disengaged.

It's funny but I'll be riding 40 years this summer and I always had the habit with any bike to kick her into neutral rolling up to a stop, mostly because of a severe permanent injury to my left hand and holding a clutch in at a light or whatever is difficult. Then a few years ago I took police training and learned to ALWAYS stay in gear, it's part of the training, for safety and fast pull outs. I've now got 80 hours of police training (leaving for my instructor level course & test next week, another 80 hours over 2 weeks) and now I always stay in gear! Probably with this Pan, I'll be re-learning old habits! lol

as far as the clutch pedal goes. I played around with it quite a bit. I adjusted things a bit but I'm gonna keep it basically as is for now. I like that in fully engaged both pedals are about equally off the floorboard and I'll actually be able to use it for my foot. Once I'm running her I'll see how it works out. I did switch the washers and adjust the friction on the pedal though and at least for now I'm leaving the stop I made

awander
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:57 am

Hey Al:

That shot of the relay on the generator-end mount-one terminal looks awful close to the frame.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”