2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

out of the kitchen FINALLY, but with a few problems

Post by LittleAl » Tue May 26, 2009 1:56 am

Here she is, in the last picture inside, waiting to get out of the kitchen
foto1.jpg
another view, yearning to be free
foto2.jpg
This is the extradition team (I'm the handsome guy showing off my pecs, LOL)
foto3.jpg
Free at last!!!
foto4.jpg
as mentioned, there are a few problems, couldn't get her started. I'll detail the problems in another post so you guys can rescue me yet again. I also want to give you all some credit for the build, without you guys it would have NEVER happened. You guys gave me great advice, your mechanical expertise, procurement information, personal opinions and moral support.

I could not be more sincere in saying THANK YOU one and all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lockdoc
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Re: out of the kitchen FINALLY, but with a few problems

Post by lockdoc » Tue May 26, 2009 2:14 am

Looks great! You'll have it running soon enough.

On a side note, you notice in all the pics of Al he makes sure his ponytail is over his shoulder?

You trying to prove to us you still have some hair Al? LOL.

JK

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix » Tue May 26, 2009 2:33 am

Great job Al, what an accomplishment!

The starting problem may have had something to do with the extradition team all standing there watching. The bigger the crowd, the harder they start. If you had been all by yourself it would have fired up on the first kick.

If a panhead engine starts up in a forest, and there's no one around to hear it, does it actually make a sound? (a philosophical question for the deep thinkers out there)

Sorry I didn't make it to Rolling Thunder, it would have been great to meet you and the guys in your club. I spent the whole week buried in the Pentagon and caught a flight out of Dulles on Friday afternoon. Maybe Rhinebeck?

anyway, great job!

mike

Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea » Tue May 26, 2009 3:44 am

I get a kick out of that "new bike" look right after a fresh rebuild, lookin' good Al ! Mike

bibs

Post by bibs » Tue May 26, 2009 3:57 am

PHEW!!!! what a crew....beautiful thang Yo :P

LittleAl
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Wed May 27, 2009 3:31 am

I have hair, I swear it I do! lol

I always knew my Shovel is that way, one kick per watching person to get her started. I ride sweep with my club so I get everybody on thier bikes before I start her up, with nobody watching she's a one kicker! I'll have to remember my Pan will be the same!

Mike, and anyone and everyone else, if you make it to Rhinebeck please contact me, I'd really enjoy meeting you guys. when it gets closer I'll post the details of when I'll be there and invite everyone else to do the same and post my cell phone so we can meet up while there. either that all we can all agree to have H-G tattooed on our foreheads, lol

Thanks for the kind words all

hjans
Bikes: HD FLH'59

Post by hjans » Wed May 27, 2009 11:54 am

out of the kitchen FINALLY, but with a few problems.......

adds some perspective on "what's cooking" !!

Nice job !
How long you've been feeded from the Pizza-boy ??

Hans

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Wed May 27, 2009 12:04 pm

hey

who says you can't cook and have a bike in the kitchen!

since i got domesticated my wife no longer approves of beer cases as furniture or baking enamel parts in the oven!

now that's cooking!

john

Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan » Wed May 27, 2009 9:15 pm

Al, Here is some info. that might help. 1. The gas not shutting off - Just use the original brass washers on the banjo and nipple at the bottom and the original seals up top. Anything else just throws things off. If you don't trust the washers use a little spray sealer on them. 2. The S&S super E, I've had that problem before too. Usually just sticking a bit and clears up once everything gets saturated. 3. The dash short, I had that one too. I made a temp. gasket out of cardboard and no more problem, later changed to rubber. 4. Kicking too easy & no start, Yeah could be slipping through the clutch but if its turning over enough to feel compression through plug holes it could be once plugs are in that compression is actually too much to overcome and thus you end up slipping through the clutch instead of turning over. Make sure ya got spark & fuel etc. and check the clutch adj. Now for a question of my own. You appear to be running internal throttle cable to your S&S, are you using the solid wire or did you change over to a braided cable? Steve D.

DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Lookin' good Al.
I hope you work out the teething problems quick. One question though ,... why no tank emblems ? ...Rick

LittleAl
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Thu May 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Steve, I am using internals for the S&S carb. I wasted a few hours trying to get it to work with a lever/pivot type setup to make it pull rather then push and with the solid inner cable. I just ain't happening, lol. I switched to a braided inner (no matter what the solid inner is too stiff to operate on the S&S cable cam) and went directly to the S&S then swapped the spiral to a reverse spiral from J&P ($53.00) to make it a pull instead of push. It worked out really well.

Rick, because in my excitement to get her outside and get it done while I had some buddies available to help I just didn't get to it yet. I have OEM emblems & the stick on mounting plates (both are current part numbers available from HD) but I still need to figure out what the original location is. I have pictures of 1954 tanks with the shift gate and have a good idea of the positioning but I want to translate the pictures into actual measurements using my shift gate as a reference point. I did that with pictures of the Anniversary Medallion and it worked out well, I believe I have the medallion in the exact position it belongs

If anyone can help me out with measurements I'd appreciate it!

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”