LittleAl
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

1954 virgin ride went well!!!

Post by LittleAl » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:07 pm

took her for her virgin ride this morning, she ran great. only put about 25 miles on her and started in a parking lot for the first 1/2 hour. that foot clutch definitely takes some getting used to.

I know now for sure she's a real Pan. I started her 50 times since I got her finished, never took more then 3 kicks. rolled her out from behind the house to the sidewalk in front. There was about 15 people out there so of course it took like 40 kicks and still wouldn't start. rolled her back behind the building and 1st kick and she started! left her running and went for my ride.

man I'm ear to ear grinning!!!!

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: 1954 virgin ride went well!!!

Post by FlatHeadSix » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:19 am

Way to go Al!

What did it take to fix the shifter?

You'll get used to that foot clutch faster than you realize, the real test is the first time you have to stop on a hill with the ol' lady on the back of that buddy seat.

All my old bikes still have the front brake lever mounted on the left, when I ride my ultra it usually takes a few starts and stops before I remember that I'm grabbing a clutch instead of the front brake.

mike

john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '71 Suzuki Duster 125, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:25 am

one suspects we won't be hearing much from al now that he is riding his bike!

all kidding aside, please do tell what the shifting cure was!

have fun!

john :mrgreen:

LittleAl
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:20 am

thanks guys!

the hand shift problem is 3 fold. The first is my own lack of finesse in using it. That's getting better now. the other two issues with it are the shift forks and I'm still up in the air on whether that's good or not. the shift rod adjustment made the biggest difference and has allowed me to at least actually hit every gear.

The shift rod adjustment was actually pretty easy, I just followed the SM procedure exactly, imagine that! lol

disconnect the shift rod at the tank lever, by hand find the "center" of third gear by hand on the tranny top lever (solidly in the detent of the sprung ball in the shift drum) then put the tank lever in the center of it's position for third gear. Adjust the rod clevis until it slides into the tank lever hole without any foward or back movement, maintaing the position exactly of the tank lever and the tranny lever.

It's still a bit off I think or maybe the shift forks need adjustment. I get all the gears now and no grinding going into any gear (a proper clutch adjustment eliminated that) but sometimes 3rd and 1st don't seem to be exactly in the right position at the gate. I'll wait until I got a little bit more experience with it and see if it's mostly my shifting inexperience of the forks actually need adjustment.

A buddy of mine that lives 1 1/2 hours from me has the fork adjustment tool so If I have to I can pull the tranny and get his help to do it. I'm hoping it don't come to that though, I wanna ride, not be pulling a tranny but at least I have it available to me.

Tomorrow I'll detail the other minor problems in some seperate threads but for today I just wanna enjoy the memory of my very first ride!

thanks again guys for your interest, help and encouragement, I couldn't have got here without you all.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”