All other topics
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

I've been holed up out in the garage lately

Post by TimmyV » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:56 pm

When I got my '61 Pan last August she was missing a lot of the tabs & brackets that should've been on the frame originally. Gas tank / seat t-bar bracket on top rail, front highway bar / lower gas tank mount, rear battery box / oil tank mounts, tool box mounts & last but not least the floorboard tabs ( I already welded the floorboard tabs back on last year ) Apparently "back in the day" someone had chopped this old girl & then later returned her to the original rake & trail. When I got her she had a gusset at the neck & a solid steel slug in the top frame rail. The gusset & the steel slug turned out to be right smack dab in the way of the speedo cable. My plan was to remove the gusset with a Saw-Zall ,then add a 7/8" roundstock brace much like the original. Once this was done I planned to drill the top frame rail so's my speedo would finally work.

All of this is complicated by the fact that I don't own a welder, however my best bud BoDean has a mighty fine Miller welder & plenty of 7018 rods out in his barn that I can use anytime I want, long as the weather will allow me to get up the hill to his place. I've been making bits & pieces for this project, just waiting for the day to come when all was ready. Turns out Saturday was the day. Snow was gone & for the second time all year long the temps were above freezing. Seeings as how I was gonna be doing the welding with the bike on the trailer out in front of Bo's barn this was a good thing.

I'll start with the toolbox & rear oil tank/battery box mounts. I made these little threaded pieces to weld to the frame where the toolbox should mount. Thought it would be a good idea to also have this thin piece to maintain the correct spacing while welding the pieces in place. I'll remove it later when I mount the box. Look close & you can also see the small block below the right side oil tank/ battery box.

When I was grinding the frame down to raw metal for these parts I uncovered the original location of the toolbox top bracket... if you look close you can see where it was originally & is once again located.

After a coat of paint I was ready to install the toolbox.

You can see the stainless steel support plate I made up as well as the bolt kit from Colony.

Here's a look at the left side rear mount for the oil tank/ battery box mount in place & all painted up.

TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Re: I've been holed up out in the garage lately

Post by TimmyV » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Next it was time to attack the top frame rail, which was layered in fiberglass. I removed the aftermarket gas tank/seat t-bar mount that was hose - clamped to the top rail & ground everything down to reveal the previous owner's handywork. Despite this area being pretty ugly, this old girl goes down the road straight & true so I think someone did a pretty good job of getting everything lined up correctly. I've got a budget to stick to so a replacement frame is out of the question. Currently I'm quickly approaching the 10 grand mark, counting the purchase of the bike so I think I'm doing pretty good in that department. But I digress.

I made up some 1/8" shims with a slight radius to them so I could shim the top gas tank / seat bracket to the correct elevation in the front. Now that I actually had the highway bar in place ( Christmas present from wife) I could see where the lower gas tank bracket should locate, thus locating the top bracket by bolting the gas tank in place temporarily. Kinda like pieces of a puzzle coming together if you know what I mean. lol. A Saw-Zall made quick work of the gusset although I left just a bit of it for extra reinforcement. Once I had everything in place I tacked it all together, then made certain to move around while welding so as to not warp or distort things. Able to get good penetration with the 7018 so I have no worries about this work. Been welding since I was a lad so this comes natural to me.

As you can see from the above pix the long awaited speedo cable is now in place thanks to a big ol' drill & several drill sizes up to 7/8"

TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:01 pm

While I had the tranny out I figured it would be a good time to repair the stripped threads on the drain plug. Also installed a steel threaded insert for the kick starter support bolt. There was a huge gaping hole there when I got the bike. ( not deep enough to penetrate the case & leak, just a big ol' hole). Also thought it was a good idea to install one of them adjustable tranny brackets as I'm running a BDL primary belt drive in a tin primary. Only problem I had was that the front tranny studs were a bit short where they connect to the adjustable bracket, so I ground the bracket down slightly where the nuts would sit, allowing me to get a full nut & star lock washer on each. (Studs were proper length, just too short with the added thickness of the bracket) Don't want anything coming loose down here, that's for certain ! Despite being necessary, I really hated to take a grinder to a brand new chrome part. Oh well, a coat of black paint later & no one will know as the bracket is hid under the tranny.

TimmyV
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:03 pm

One last project for now. Decided to add a little "bling" to the front fender by installing the front fender "V" trim & side spears.

Gonna be more to come as the winter rolls on. Hope to get the tranny back in today & get the primary installed & all buttoned up.

Here's one last look at Norma Jean as she waits in the garage for me. Y'all have a good 'un !

lockdoc
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Post by lockdoc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:12 am

Looks like you are having fun. Thanks for sharing the progress.

Return to “General/Miscellaneous topics”